Anyone been out on the river lately ?

• mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Sounds like a sweet hunt BM. Congrats!!
    Black ducks are cool.

I wish we had more successful field hunting around here. I just very sledom see ducks in the fields, which is odd.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Gator, 3-4 ducks per morning. That sounds pretty darn good to me. I hunt the Nelson Bottoms, and had the same 3 shells in my gun for 3 hunts last week. If I could get 3-4 per morning I would cry with joy. The worst season in my life so far. Guess I need to get mobile, agile, and hostile on em.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

Gator, 3-4 ducks per morning. That sounds pretty darn good to me. I hunt the Nelson Bottoms, and had the same 3 shells in my gun for 3 hunts last week. If I could get 3-4 per morning I would cry with joy. The worst season in my life so far. Guess I need to get mobile, agile, and hostile on em.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Blackduck

You are correct. I should be counting my blessings rather than complaining. I could be getting skunked.

By the way, Nubbinbuck and I hit pool #4 yesterday morning and ended up with 4 Mallards.
    The people in the fields are tearing up the Mallys and Woodies right now. It is not my kind of hunting though. I prefer to slop through the muck and freeze in the boat. Now that’s living!!!! My wife says I may need proffesional help.

Lenny Jamison

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Blackduck

You are correct. I should be counting my blessings rather than complaining. I could be getting skunked.

By the way, Nubbinbuck and I hit pool #4 yesterday morning and ended up with 4 Mallards.
    The people in the fields are tearing up the Mallys and Woodies right now. It is not my kind of hunting though. I prefer to slop through the muck and freeze in the boat. Now that’s living!!!! My wife says I may need proffesional help.

Lenny Jamison

buckmaster

Thanks Moss and your right it was a great hunt to remember. I don’t think the 4 that came up to visit me will forget it anyways.

Gator:
    Nothing worse then getting skunked and I will do what I can to not go home empty handed. Professional help????? I think that everyone’s wife says that to be honest with ya. We live to hunt and that is that. As for the field hunting, I love to do it myself and everyone is different and has there own preference. I guess if I had the option of sitting in decoys letting ducks land on my head and sitting in the boat hoping that a duck will fly by ………well, I guess I would have to take???????The field…..hands down. Just makes a guy’s life a heck of a lot easier if you know what I mean.

Getting out hunting is the first step to a successful day no matter where you go.

Good luck and I still have that end of the month gut feeling. I know it will only leave a few days to hunt, but it is going to be good.

buckmaster

Thanks Moss and your right it was a great hunt to remember. I don’t think the 4 that came up to visit me will forget it anyways.

Gator:
    Nothing worse then getting skunked and I will do what I can to not go home empty handed. Professional help????? I think that everyone’s wife says that to be honest with ya. We live to hunt and that is that. As for the field hunting, I love to do it myself and everyone is different and has there own preference. I guess if I had the option of sitting in decoys letting ducks land on my head and sitting in the boat hoping that a duck will fly by ………well, I guess I would have to take???????The field…..hands down. Just makes a guy’s life a heck of a lot easier if you know what I mean.

Getting out hunting is the first step to a successful day no matter where you go.

Good luck and I still have that end of the month gut feeling. I know it will only leave a few days to hunt, but it is going to be good.

kris_brantner
    My river

remember a bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work

kris_brantner
    My river

remember a bad day of hunting is still better than a good day at work

mudcatkid
    On water

Quote:

Whatever happend to all the “secret spots” ……..

access to the internet! Internet scounting has gotten so bad that even saying gereral locations is gonna be cuttin yr own throat!!!!!!!! Type in Mississippi or Good Hunt on yr post title……and watch the number of views go up! Just like fishing……….Pool # this, Pool # that…….. all leads to more competition IMO!!!

Dont get me wrong………these forums are a great place to talk/learn stuff. But ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Its like talking to a buddy about a secret hunting spot……….as you stand infront of the microphone at a DU banquet. Converasation between 2 guys, shared among a hundred!!! (Sorry for the crappy analogy…its all i got..lol)

PS…..notice i dont even have my actual town Location under my screen name Some guys on here know where i live……..but hopefully the “lurkers” dont!

mudcatkid
    On water

Quote:

Whatever happend to all the “secret spots” ……..

access to the internet! Internet scounting has gotten so bad that even saying gereral locations is gonna be cuttin yr own throat!!!!!!!! Type in Mississippi or Good Hunt on yr post title……and watch the number of views go up! Just like fishing……….Pool # this, Pool # that…….. all leads to more competition IMO!!!

Dont get me wrong………these forums are a great place to talk/learn stuff. But ya gotta draw the line somewhere. Its like talking to a buddy about a secret hunting spot……….as you stand infront of the microphone at a DU banquet. Converasation between 2 guys, shared among a hundred!!! (Sorry for the crappy analogy…its all i got..lol)

PS…..notice i dont even have my actual town Location under my screen name Some guys on here know where i live……..but hopefully the “lurkers” dont!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I know what you mean MCK. I don’t feel too bad putting the Pool I guess, but that’s about as specific as I get. A couple of years ago I felt free to post, but the internet scouting has gotten worse.

This year though, I got nothing to hide. Worst year on the river for me since I moved back in 98, and likely a long time before that. I’m sure some guys are getting some, someone always is somewhere. I just haven’t had the time to scout out any secret spots this year. Maybe this cold will move some down.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I know what you mean MCK. I don’t feel too bad putting the Pool I guess, but that’s about as specific as I get. A couple of years ago I felt free to post, but the internet scouting has gotten worse.

This year though, I got nothing to hide. Worst year on the river for me since I moved back in 98, and likely a long time before that. I’m sure some guys are getting some, someone always is somewhere. I just haven’t had the time to scout out any secret spots this year. Maybe this cold will move some down.

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Mudcatkid………you are so right!!!!!!!!!

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Mudcatkid………you are so right!!!!!!!!!

wing_nutt3

I agree, Plus I would like to mention the use of mud motors by people that were not willing to access the hard to get to spots before. I guess it just comes down to being in that right spot at the right time, and a few other things ha.

wing_nutt3

I agree, Plus I would like to mention the use of mud motors by people that were not willing to access the hard to get to spots before. I guess it just comes down to being in that right spot at the right time, and a few other things ha.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Hunted upper pool 5 this morning, sloughs are freezing over and very few ducks flying. We did manage to get 5 Drake Mallards, 2 Drake Black Ducks, and 1 Drake woodie for 3 of us. not great but better than it has been though still not any numbers of ducks moving through My guess is the ducks bypassed the area this year.

Bogsucker
    SE MN

Hunted upper pool 5 this morning, sloughs are freezing over and very few ducks flying. We did manage to get 5 Drake Mallards, 2 Drake Black Ducks, and 1 Drake woodie for 3 of us. not great but better than it has been though still not any numbers of ducks moving through My guess is the ducks bypassed the area this year.

nubbinbuck

The smaller ponds in the south metro area have been iced for few days. Anything about an acre or smaller in most cases. Out of curiousity, why would ducks ‘fly over’ a known flyway area some years, if there is food and open water still ? Thanks.

nubbinbuck

The smaller ponds in the south metro area have been iced for few days. Anything about an acre or smaller in most cases. Out of curiousity, why would ducks ‘fly over’ a known flyway area some years, if there is food and open water still ? Thanks.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t think the big flights are here yet. It has been warm in Canada up until now.

Reminds me of a few years ago when we had an awesome migration the last 2 days of the season, in December.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

I don’t think the big flights are here yet. It has been warm in Canada up until now.

Reminds me of a few years ago when we had an awesome migration the last 2 days of the season, in December.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Moss Boss:

I gotta agree. It seems like there has been more shooting lately, but haven’t been out to try to find anything yet as I have been very busy lately. Just can’t believe that the flight passed us by without everybody seeing ducks at least for a few days.

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Moss Boss:

I gotta agree. It seems like there has been more shooting lately, but haven’t been out to try to find anything yet as I have been very busy lately. Just can’t believe that the flight passed us by without everybody seeing ducks at least for a few days.

Mark

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I heard they’re think of puttin mallards on the endangered species list next year

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

I heard they’re think of puttin mallards on the endangered species list next year

kris_brantner
    My river

heh, u just dont know where to hunt. ya got to go where the birds are. i went out for about 45 minutes wed before school by my self and got 4 green heads and then me and 2 other people went saturday afternoon and shot a bunch. hey jake, last day of can yesterday, did ya get one for me to mount???

kris_brantner
    My river

heh, u just dont know where to hunt. ya got to go where the birds are. i went out for about 45 minutes wed before school by my self and got 4 green heads and then me and 2 other people went saturday afternoon and shot a bunch. hey jake, last day of can yesterday, did ya get one for me to mount???

kris_brantner
    My river

here is when i was by my self

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 103 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.