water clarity and lure colors?

• Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Hey so I am wondering what you guys think.

I heard from someone not sure if its true or not or if it even matters but when selecting your lure colors should you do so on water clarity? like the darker the water the brighter the lure? or the more clear the water aim for more earth tone/fish looking colors? Again im not sure where I heard this but is there any truth to it? Personally Ive never thought about it and Always just changed my lures until I found something they would hit on. Any thoughts?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

The theory is a good start. Then experiment from there. Also consider “matching the hatch”. If you know what food your target species is feeding on in that particular body of water, you can get even closer to a good probable bait. Consider size of your bait as nearly as important as color. This will help too. Consider the impact of the sky above (clear vs. cloudy) and the amount of snow cover as well. All these contribute to the available light below. Some days, those fish will eat about anything and other days, you have to try a lot of combinations to get dialed in.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

As JD pointed out there can be many variables. I’m inclined to believe there a more “global” thing going on of which color is only one part. Factor in size, flash, noise, movement, presentation, etc, etc..

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Both of the replies are good advice. Personally I think too many people get tied up in color. I tend to put more emphasis on the sky conditions and water conditions and then select a bait with a profile I think will work. I have my go-to colors that are used in different profiles and when I have worked thru on profile and a pile of color I go to another profile and start all over again.

Here’s some food for thought though. Consider contrast more than color….how does a color stand against the water color? Find a bait in a contrasting color and the fish will be able to see it and respond to it even if the color is a puker. White will contrast with most any water meaning it is visible to fish as long as there is light outside of the water. Black, especially one that is plastic, is blacker than anything as wee know it and is why black is such a great night color. Black still is a good day color.

Time of day will also play a huge part in color selection too. I fish crappies on a lake that from the time the sun rises until about 10:30 using a purple/chartreuse tail combination in one profile or another. After that 10:30 mark the purple wanes while blue starts right up. The difference is the sun’s angle on the water and how well light is utilized by the purple color. When the sun is higher in the sky blue stays right on top as a fish catcher. A clear bait, one with no pearl or hi lite added to the plastic to make the body opaque in any way, can be a great color all day long, even on radically cloudy days.

Glow colors and uv enhanced plastics make for all kinds of thing to think about. Today’s uv enhanced baits are visible at depths well beyond color comprehension. UV baits don’t glow to us but they sure as heck might to fish. On glow, one of the major drawbacks is how a whole jighead of glow paint can actually cast a huge “aura” around it and appear to a fish as too big to eat. Much of the natural foods fish eat have a certain amount of luminescence to them but they are super minute as compared to a jig head, even a dinky one. One element of the glow baits is that now fish are seeing colors at depths those colors were never seen before by the fish. Most of the information floating around as to whether the fish are seeing actual color or differing degrees of glow in gray shades and black and white is based on fish reaction. Nobody truly can say that the fish see the color. None the less, the glows work and offer another challenge to the color quandary for you.

Everybody seems to settle on a few go-to colors as the pets. Tie one on a rod and have at it but be willing to change until you hit on something that produces well for you. Pay attention to little things as you fish and catch fish. Soon you’ll start to see parallels with colors and catching.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.