Report Wapo 5/8

• skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Fished Wapo on Saturday, 5/8. I was in a tourney, and was the 22nd boat to blast off. I was lucky, or so I figured, and the spot that I wanted to fish was open. I had a white and chartruese spinnerbait on, and on my 3rd cast I caught a 13 1/2 inch bass. 1/2 inch short. I was encouraged, by the quick catch. I continued on that spot for the next 2 hours, and didn’t see a thing. I was on the shoal on the entrance into the bay on Bear Trap Lake. I tried different color spinnerbaits, two different floating raps, chartruese ringworms, purple and chartruese ringworms, 3 different colored superdoos, and firetiger rat’l traps. Moved around to the back of the bay and was throwing the spinnerbait and got 3 small northerns. Went out into the main lake, and was pitching superdoos to the docks, and didn’t get so much as a nibble. The winner got his limit working the docks on the north end of the lake. I don’t know what he was pitching, but he was just working the docks. Pretty slow all day, and nothing weighed. Sun came out and I got burnt, but it was still a fun day on the lake.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I should’ve loaded you up on Gitzit Paddle Frys….. Slaughtered the bass, …… big bass…. on those babies for a good 6 weeks straight last year. Docks with the pause/drop, jerk, and slower retrieve. Also worked well along lilys once they were up.

I’ve also done well along Wapo’s north end docks and banks using a Mepps Killer Combo in yellow. What doesn’t take the plastic the first round seemed to take it the second round if tipped with a leech……… but no live bait in a tourney huh?

Put this on your list to try next year or use as a back up.

Go get ’em on the next stop!

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

Yeah, I saw a bunch of people who were anchored and using slip bobbers with a crawler. They were catching numbers, but nothing too big from what I saw. What I would have given to be able to tie up a slip bobber rig and a crawler. Maybe I would have had a day of catching fish anyways…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.