Wappogasset?

• skeeter
    West Metro

I think I am heading to a friends cabin on Wappogasset for opener- we have never had much luck fishing on this lake… if anyone could provide me with any tips I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Sorry – We’ve never done well early in the seaon on Wappo either. Usually just wait for a few weeks until the water gets up into the mid sixties. What are you looking to catch???

skeeter
    West Metro

Walleyes? What else is there?

skhartke
    Somerset, WI

I’ll be up there on Sunday, chasing bass! I’ve never fished for walleye up there, but the bass are usually pretty good. Just looking forward to getting out on a lake!

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Does bass season open that far North this early? I’d check the regs…

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

Yes Wapo opens for Bass on the WI openner, the line is farther North than that.

I’ve fished Wapo for openner for the past 4 years but will not be getting into WI for it this year. Have seen the action be very hot for everything to very cold for everything. It all depends upon the weather. This year I would think the fishing will be so-so because it is supposed to cool down pretty good by the weekend, however the water temps should be condusive to some fish biting because we had an early ice off and slightly above average temps so far this spring.

We would fish for bass but always seemed to pick up some walleyes on cranks and jerkbaits. The eyes really like the wind and fishing the shore where the wind is blowing is the way to get them.

Good Luck, I may get out on WAPO the Fri after openner.

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Good luck – I can think of a few other lakes I’d try for eyes before Wappo.

skeeter
    West Metro

I’m wide open for suggestions! I will be up at a cabin on Wapo the whole weekend… where else might you suggest?

Pax
    Woodville, WI

Magnor in Richardson, Sand by St Croix Falls, or Cedar down By Star Prarie. OR the Croix I suppose we’ll have a lot of our western neighbors over here since your opener isn’t for a couple more weeks. Not complaining – the tax $$$ don’t hurt. Good Luck —–Pax

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

magnor sucks

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

So, what did you end up doing?

I wouldn’t target Magnor either……….. too much pressure, too little water. From what I’ve seen, that lake needs to be left alone for about 5 years. I haven’t been on it in 2 years and it was in steady decline then…………..

I don’t know how Cedar is this time of year but I know it left me scratchin’ my head after 2 skunkings in a row last fall. There was NOTHING!

Never been to Sand near St. Croix Falls so I have no clue. PAX really gets around on these local waters and wouldn’t recommend anything he felt he wouldn’t catch a fish on so I’ll have to venture up that way someday and see if I can figure out what he already knows!

Back the question…………. what did you end up doing?

Pax
    Woodville, WI

I really don’t go after walleyes but 15-20 days per summer (I hit the river all winter). but all I ever do is use the fish finders for quite a while and find potential school or locations and slip bobber and/or jig or sometimes drag a bouncer. I will be the first person to tell you I’m not a walleye genious. I usually go for bass/ northerns 90% of my time. Let’s face it – walleyes are NOT a gimme in this area. BTW —-Fished Horseshoe (n of Turtle Lake) and got quite a few bass – 2 over 18 inches and lost a couple decent northerns. Hardly saw anyone out either day. Saw a lot in the taverns at night though!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.