IDA Walleye Tour – June 12, 2004 Top 5 Teams.

• jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Thank you to all who took part in today’s tourney!

We had 29 teams fishing today. Here are the top money placing weights. I will have all of the final results and points standing on-line tomorrow. We paid down five places. Congratulations to these 5 teams:

First Place – Craig Kronbeck & Bill Ahlbrecht. 5 fish for 15.36 pounds. $800

Second Place – Jon Rousu & Garett Rousu. 5 fish for 14.46 pounds. $600

Third Place – Lee Nesbitt & Aaron Mathees. 5 fish for 14.24 pounds. $400 ***

Fourth Place – Dan Krukow & Jason Krukow. 5 fish for 10.98 pounds. $310

Fifth Place – Tim Chick & Mitch Jerowski. 4 fish for 10.10 pounds. $210

Team

*** Lee Nesbitt & Aaron Mathees also won the big fish pot. That paid them an additional $280. And I’ll be dammed I don’t have the exact weight of that fish recorded in front of me. But my memory recalls that the fish was in the mid to upper seven pound range. Congrats!

The top 3 teams and big fish were also awarded plaques. Here are some shots form today:

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Third Place and Big Fish:

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Ok, I’m sure everyone wants to know how James and Dustin did. They weighed 4 fish 9.44 lbs. Caught over 20 fish during the day! But….an unfortunate incident at the dock during weigh in had their 5th fish escape back into the water. That fish I’m told was in the 3 pound range and would have put them in the money.

I did not personally see this incident happen, but there were several who did. I have however seen similar things happen a few times over the years where a fish can get away from you in the excitement…. Hard lesson to learn.

James, Dustin…. Please tell us more!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well done on the Tourney guys …. and congrats on the winners…

And we do need the full story James and Dustin

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks Jon. My computer pooped out last night after posting the pics for the ARM Event and basicly lost everything. Called Juno tonight and they said that Best Buy has FREE Juno CDs for downloading their internet service. So between the Microsoft Recovery CD I was able to get the original programs back that came with the computer [all others are lost] and with the Juno CD I got back on the internet. No more withdrawals from not being able to get back on the site. So if anyone wants to switch Internet providers or know of someone who wants to get on the internet you can get both Juno and ZeroNet CDs for free at Best Buy stores. With all that said, Thanks Jon for posting results and pics. After I get a photo CD I’ll be back in business of posting pics. Thanks, Bill

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is a cool shot of the river to give you an idea of the high water level we have now.

This picture is looking downstream at Evert’s arch dock. (Bascially standing behind the fish cleaning house.)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I didn’t see ANY of how it happened as I was driving the boat and idling at dockside concentrating on other things but I did see the looks on Dustin’s, Blue’s and Steve Plantz faces after it was all over… PRICELESS! I’ll let Dustin explain the “how and why” but as his fishing partner in these things I will tell everyone that I’m in charge of the fish baskets at dock side from now on!…. lol Like I told him, I’ve heard of this kind of thing happening but I’ve never actually known anyone that actually did it!

All in good fun and if a goof like this is ever going to happen to a tourney team, this is the type of event to do it in to get it out of their system. I was a little stunned for a couple minutes afterwards but I would think it would be a little hard to get over if we’d have had a good bag in a $20K tournament.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Unfortunately I was holding the front of James/Dustin’s boat, Blue Fleck was at the rear. He handed the basket to Dustin in the boat. Now, keep in mind, the current is ripping, there were cruiser wakes pounding us at the end of the arched dock.

I was attentively watching Dustin pull fish from the well. The first fish, the biggest, skirmed out of Dustin’s hands mid-air from the well to the basket. It appeared to hit the edge of the basket, off the gunnel, off the dock and down the 4-5 inch gap between the boat and dock.

Unfortunately there were a couple lessons learned, never let Dustin fill the basket , also to bring as many fish to the dock as allowed by the tournament. I’m sorry you guys are the ones who had to teach me these lessons.

One thing that can’t be said enough, James was visibly shocked(Like no way), Dustin’s emotions appeared to be towards the, well I can’t use those words on this site. Shortly after the fish were weighed, Dustin and James loaded the boat and were standing in the crowd talking to each other. Yes, it cost them money, but the true friendship of these guys showed through. No arguing, bickering or finger pointing(at least not in the public’s eye ).

I’ll let Dusting tell his side of the story, but I’m also glad it wasn’t for a $20k tourney. Oh, the fish, I’m sure it was 15 inches Dustin. It was a solid 3lb. fish.

I also wanted to say it was great to meet a bunch of great sticks and people from the IDA site. It’s always great to meet more IDA members, especially you gatorhunter and Tony. You two crack me up. Someone should ask gator how his netting skills are without a handle on the net….

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Quote:

Someone should ask gator how his netting skills are without a handle on the net….

Ya had to bring that one up, didn’t ya Fowler.

Brian sander’s first fish of the morning was a big (35.4 LBS.) flathead. In the process of netting the pig I managed to snap the net clean off at the hoop.. Wouldn’t you know it the next fish of the morning was a real decent walleye. Well Brian is bringing the walleye in and I am trying to net it with just the hoop end of the net. Didn’t work, we losted this fish. It sucked bad as we only weighed in four fish. Oh well, I blame Brian for hooking that ugly flathead.

Gator Hunter

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Not much of a story to tell. That fish was excited to go home early I guess Sh## happens.

Thanks for another well ran event Jon Looking forward to the next one

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

There’s always stories to be told! I had to miss this one because of last minute changes but it looked like a beautiful day to have a tourney and sounds like a lot of fun was had! I should be at the next one and look forward to experiencing the excitement first hand!

Pops
    Big River, WI

Jon, great job on the 2nd stop of the IDA tour. Was a pleasure to finally meet you personaly.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

The weight of the big fish as I recall was 7.42 lbs.

It was a great to be out on the water. It was my pleasure to help out and meet LOTS of new people. Maybe next time I’ll find a partner and see how a ‘Bass guy’ fairs with the walleye crowd.

Dustin, I know how it feels to give a nice fish an early release. I did it a few years ago in a bass tourney. Like you said, poop happens.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here are the final standings. (Sorry, the formatting is goofy copying out of Excel and I can’t figure out how to fix it ) Hope to get the points standing up today. Thanks for being patient.

Team Name Number of fish Total Weight

Craig Kronbeck / Bill Ahlbrecht 5.00 15.36

Jon Rousu / Garett Rousu 5.00 14.46

Lee Nesbitt / Aaron Mathees 5.00 14.24

Dan Krukow / Jason Krukow 5.00 10.98

Tim Chick / Mitch Jerowski 4.00 10.10

Brian Hilgardner / Nick Peterson 4.00 9.96

Dustin Stewart / James Holst 4.00 9.44

Paul Kennebeck / Seth Huntoon 5.00 9.28

Rob Iberg / Jason Kinneman 5.00 9.22

Marty Hahn / Jeff Malz 5.00 8.90

Brian Sander / Lenny Jamison 4.00 7.32

Tony Apisa / Tony Carnes 4.00 7.22

Steve Vick / Dean Marshall 4.00 7.12

Jon Pechacek / Mike Schommer Jr. 4.00 5.42

Nate Cadwell / Todd Peterson 4.00 5.32

Greg Vandemark / Mike Anderson 3.00 4.80

Tom Skulski / Travis Benway 3.00 4.54

Mike Donahoe / Donahoe 2.00 3.66

Mike Schommer / Jason Schommer 1.00 3.28

Jeff Harcey / Mary Harcey 2.00 2.88

Jeremy Evans / Jim Pinke 2.00 2.54

Don Hanson / Kerry Harvey 1.00 1.26

Corbin Kristufek / Kris Kristufek 0.00 0.00

Jon HelmHelmberger / David Schueck 0.00 0.00

Steve Holt / Jon Kinneman 0.00 0.00

Bob Johnston / Barry Thorton 0.00 0.00

James Beaulieu / Jon Arbs 0.00 0.00

Rand Donker / B J Marten 0.00 0.00

Matt Konkel / Todd Murray 0.00 0.00

Keith Schlauderaff / John Henckel ***Did not fish – Motor Problem. Entry Refunded Prior to start****

Also, please let me know of any miss-spelled names. Some of those entries are tuff to read!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Special thanks to “The Crew”! These tourneys run smooth because of your help.

“Dinosaur”
    Steve Plantz
    Bill Cadwell
    “Waterfowler”
    “Blue Fleck”
    “Jen” who is always right!

And everyone else who jumped in to run a basket or help direct traffic and load boats. It’s appriciated.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Thanks Jon and Crew..
    It was a great time and well run tourney.
    One thing I would like to comment on However.
    My nephew Mike is in the learning teaching phase of his career.

And dag burn it DUSTIN I wished you would not have shown him how to handle fish at dock side like that.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.