• rach0013
    Minnesota

Yeah I am a new member and have fished pool 4 for a few years now. I am thinking of getting into some of these IDA tournaments but was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the best way for a so called “rookie” fisherman to fish his first walleye tournament.
    Also does a guy really need to be diverse in his tackle box or is it best to focus on one style?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Hey Wordo…Welcome to the site…

While I fish for the “better fish” , My advise to you if entering a tournament:

Do what works for you . If you’re on a method that’s catching fish, Use it. Don’t try something else just to try it. It is however a good idea to have that diversity, because if you’re ever at the point where everything you know isn’t working, THEN it’s time to try something else. Having a diverse tackle box allows you to opportunity to try new/diff. methods that might spark that bite you’re looking for.

Good luck on your first tourney!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Very good question that many here have all thought about in one tournament or another. Maybe as a start, because this is a team event you may want to consider teaming up with a buddy or someone that you could learn from? Time on the water always helps a angler out in one way or another. Hiring a guide is also a smart thing to do if there are certain techniques that you feel would benefit from. Hiring a guide can be very advantageous for anglers not necessary looking to learn spots, but to learn techniques and learn why and when to use these techniques.

Staying versatile and willing to adapt to the conditions you are faced with will helped dramatically in your day of tournament fishing…for instance, the wind never blows when you want it to and always on a day when you have a windless technique that is treating you well. Adapting to these conditions will help you stay in tune with your fish. The fish could care less that its blowing 20+mph up on top. So the fish are still there, how do I catch them in these conditions? Having several productive patterns will always help you out as well.
    These are just many thoughts that can and should be considered while pre-fishing for the event.

As for some tournament days, alot of techniques or tackle could be eliminated due to the time of year, water temps, clarity, etc… An obvious example might be, speed trolling large crankbaits in 35 degree water temps? Yes, fish are caught on crankbaits, but tweaks to your presentation will be more accepted in certain conditions.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.