Snap jigging

• NOEL CANTU
    NE IOWA

Can someone explain “Snap Jigging”… Somehow I picture jerking the lure away from a fish…
    Tight lines

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

I have a video from In-Fisherman (Al Lidner) that he speaks about and shows snap jigging. Very interesting.

I have yet to master it but do catch walleye on it at times. It requires a pretty stiff rod and heavy line so there is little line stretch.

Trolling about 3-4mph worked best for me, and I let just enough line out that the lure just touches bottom on the “drop back” of the snap jig. It is an aggresive method for sure, but the strikes have been heavy.

Also seems to work best in moderate depths up to 17′ deep.

Good luck!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

In my neck of the woods “Snap Jigging” is done in heavy cabbage weed patches. A 1/8 oz. fine wire jig(usually with a crawler hooked though the head) is gently pitched just inside the weed edge and allowed to freefall to the bottom. The rod is slowly lifted until resistance is encountered. The lined is held taut against the pressure for a few seconds…if its a fish you will feel movement and set the hook on it, if not a steady upward pull on the rod will pop the weed stem and the jig/crawler will jump forward.
    This is where most strikes occur…the sudden “snap” forward from the weed
    ellicits a strike reaction. I like to use a fine diameter superbraid for this technique. It will surprise you how you can fish through heavy weeds using this technique. In shallower water I move down to a 1/16 oz jig. I have never tried this with plastics, but it should work…try it.

Jira

I bought a set last year to give a whirl. I can’t say I’m an expert with them by any means. I’ve used them most on the Lower Croix and Mille Lacs with limited success. I agree with Riverratt thou.. they seem to hit hard. One of the things I like is that you can control lure depth from bottom pretty good by using a floater. The other nice thing is that for slow troll it’s really easy to get your bait down there and keep your weight away from your bait. I’ve run as much as 50 feet away while working the mud flats. When you reel in, you just unsnap the weight from your line in the process.

One other note.. my dad is really good a losing them.

Here’s a pic if you’ve never seen them…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi J.

snap jigging is a jig and bait or plastice or hair presentation, a SNAP WEIGHT, is a whole different thing altogether. Ususally for controlling depth when Trolling Cranks or spinner rigs. Jack.

Don Hanson

I have good success snap jigging in the summer. I do it while moving at speeds of 1 to 1.5 mph. I use 3/8 ounce jigs tipped with live bait or plasctics. I like running the line at about a 20 degree angle to the water. After pausing the jig on the bottom I will snap it forward about 2 or 3 ft-almost like I am setting the hook. Then on a tight line I will let the jig fall back. Most bites are aggressive and will occur on the fall.

Jira

Snap jiggin — snap weightin’ — I told ya I had limited success!! LOL

*dammit* *Dammit*

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

The first time I ever saw this done was up on Winni about 13 years ago. I thought the guys were nuts!. Then I tried it. It is one of my favorite ways to take shallow walleyes, typically under 10′ and the fish are spread out on large flats or bars. I’ve had my best luck when the wind is kicking up really good. My best luck comes trolling into the wind for better boat speed control. I took a friend out once to do this and he couldn’t believe what we were doing. He kept trying to fineses jig while I was ripping. After I had 26 walleyes in teh boat he finally surrendered and tried it. The next time you encounter these situations don’t be afraid to try this. Oh and hang on tight, there’s no messing aroung when the fish hit the bait.

Don Hanson

Garrison you are right, people will look at you like you are nuts!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I checked back with my old Winnie guide “the Bear”. The method I described was Weedline Snap Jigging…I have heard of the technique that Don described…didn’t realize it had a similar name. Sounds like a fun way to fish the flats Don! I’ll bet they really hammer the jig unde those condition!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.