A couple from today.

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Found these 2 today pitching Patriot hair jigs to a nice current break on a shoreline. 29.5″ and 27″. The larger one was a double we had with and nice low 20s walleye. The bite was a little slower today than a few days ago but these fish made up for it. These where the 1st two fish I caught while trying out a new Vados custom rod that you see in the photo. Rich was nice enough to let me try this rod today. Hate to say but Im not bringing it back.

Can someone turn off the wind machine now?

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Nice going Mike! Throwing hair is a blast!

That rod looks nice…What are the specs on it?

flatoutally
    MN

Holy Moly. Those are nice. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Hey Mike,

My buddy Gary and I got out for a few hours today. Found a couple of “eater” sized fish. They seemed to be closer to shore on the wingdams, definitely not much going on out on the ends of the dams. We also trolled a long stretch of rip rap without much to show for it. Most of our action came on plain 1/8 ounce jigs with half a crawler on it, caught one big Sheepie on a hair jig.

We were in Gary’s F-7 alumacraft so the wind was a major hassle. We couldn’t anchor up right, even trolling was tough. It can calm down any time now!

NOTE: If you launch at 494, look out ofr the log right off the end of the dock. Maybe 50 feet out into the river there’s a deadhead sticking up.

Rootski

a1a

Nice fish!

I know what ya mean about that “wind machine”

My father-inlaw and I were on P2 Saturday all day and only managed 8 fish all day…all but one 18″ between 22″-27″ . Most came trolling backwater areas with grappler shads, but I did manage a couple on one of the very few wind-protected wingdams south of 494…strangely enough on a patriot hair-jig. Go figure! Plastic didn’t seem to provoke any strikes and I went through all my hair-jig colors, saving patriot for last as usual, and that was the one they wanted strangely enough! I’ll probably start with that color next time.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Nice going Mike! Throwing hair is a blast!

That rod looks nice…What are the specs on it?

6’6″ Medium light fast. Fugi guides on a Rain shadow blank with custom reel seat. They sure had a nice feel resting in my hand.

buschman
    Pool 2

I really liked the reel seat on that rod!!! Really feels nice in your hands. You should take a close up picture for the guys Mike. Puts that reel right in your hand and has a nice tapered cork section for you upper handle.

2 for 2 on big fish without a net. Pretty soon you might believe me and my silly superstitions

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Nice Mike and Joe! Good to see some hair is working as well. Patriot hairjig would be kind of close colorwise to some of those outlandishly painted cranks we’ve been using of late.

dd

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just to help with your theory on crank bait colors Joel blue was our hot color crank for the day.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.