How will rain and weather effect river this weeken

• Fatty14

Staying at everts this weekend and wondering how you guys think this weather is going to effect the fishing. I Was there last sunday and water was clear with very low flow. Are the creeks open and mudding up the water yet? Will there be a dramatic change in flow?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Higher, dirtier water is generally a good thing for the bite. Beyond that very general statement trying to predict the bite this weekend is guesswork at best. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes for you.

fishim
    Minnesota

I was there yesterday and the water was pretty clear yet. I did notice all the feeders were dumping in some colored water, I wouldn’t call it mud yet. I excpect it to get better before it gets worse. Some more flow and color will help the daytime bite. Look for the fish to move shallower and look for current seams setting up.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I agree with James but I also suspect the bite to get better as winter turns into spring

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Can casting crankbaits be productive now on the river?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Can casting crankbaits be productive now on the river?

I’ve had some limited success doing so. I wouldn’t call it a go-to technique but it isn’t unheard of to catch some fish this time of year doing so. Think slow retrieves w/ pauses to get bit.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Hopefully, the water temp. does not drop like a rock–otherwise could be tough for a day or two.
    Much like you walking into a swimming pool, reaching your waist and having to pause there for a minute or so…..you get the picture.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hopefully, the water temp. does not drop like a rock–otherwise could be tough for a day or two.
    Much like you walking into a swimming pool, reaching your waist and having to pause there for a minute or so…..you get the picture.

Yup-yup. One of the toughest times each spring is those 3 – 4 days when the water temps plummet as icy melt water pours in from the tribs.

Fatty14

The negativity is crushing my buzz. Can’ wait to get there looks like friday is gonna get washed out any how. If the fishing is slow I’ll just break out the new hand line and get it wet for fun.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Anyone have a water temp today? We are arriving Monday. Just in time.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Don’t expect much flow change in next few days. maybe a little color. The expected flow isn’t going to change much. You can check it at rivergauges.com

mojogunter

Does anyone three way this time of year? I did a bit last fall and caught a few, but I haven’t noticed anyone trying this spring.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Does anyone three way this time of year? I did a bit last fall and caught a few, but I haven’t noticed anyone trying this spring.

As the flow increases and the water clarity starts to drop off you’ll see more and more guys pulling stickbaits for numbers of fish. They typically do very well as the water temps approach 40 degrees with a real spike in activity once temps hit the low to mid 40’s.

fatguy
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I’m sorry, what?? Oh yeah fishing. I have been mezmerized by Mojo’s avatar!

mojogunter

Maybe I should change that, it seems to have that effect on many people, and thanks James.

Fatty14

We have good luck on stick baits normaly starting first week in april. Haven’t tried much earlier than that. Seems like stickbaits shine in may (everything seems to work then). Will probably give it a short try this weekend though.

KTroller
    Plymouth, MN

NOOOOO Mojo – Don’t change it! – longer loop if anything.

Oddly when I’m in my boat and there’s a little chop those girls hardly move ;-)

KT

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I start pulling stickbaits on Pool 7 as soon as we can get on the water. I prefer leadcore, which I feel I catch a lot more on in clear water.

fatguy
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

NOOOOO Mojo – Don’t change it! – longer loop if anything. quote]

Agreed!!

les_welch

Quote:

Looking at your avatar, and reading this, I believe we would be talking about two different kinds of 3-ways……..

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I’m making a bold prediction based on not much that this spring we aren’t going to have the G%#@$* %%$&&#ing minnow bite. The rain and fairly steady temps in the upper 30’s to 50 degrees will negate the freezing run-off crap (I hope)!

dd

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.