Lake Pepin

• masonbrewer
    Eagan, MN

Anyone have any stories or insight on the walleye/sauger bite on Lake Pepin out from Frontenac? We were out last weekend and had some nice fish but not a lot for 6 people. we ended up with 9 keepers between 6 guys but had a couple nice sauger, 24″ and 25″. I want to try it again this weekend. I’m curious to see how the bite has been this week after the warm up we’ve had.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The bite at Frontenac can be good one day and horrid for the two following. Then it can be tough for a week and great for a week. Our recent weather might have improved things bite-wise, but its best to make that determination for yourself.

You may want to try the beach at Hok-si-la if Frontenac is slow. Or fish further up-stream from the landing at Frontenac. Fish move around….you may need to to find better fishing on some days.

The sauger you got into on the trip you mention are nice fish.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

It’s been spotty at best upstream of Frontenac, careful of the ice i had 15″ and a friend 50 yards down had 12″. Overall from the reports i’ve gotten it’s tough bite but i wouldn’t doubt someone somewhere is catching fish on something, good luck

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

24 and 25″ sauger or saugeye?

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Quote:

24 and 25″ sauger or saugeye?

Luke beat me to the question…RR

scalesorskin
    south eatern ,Minnesota

24 and 25 in sauger would be two absolute gaints …

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

24″ and 25″ are ones for the wall

drew-evans
    rochester MN

Quote:

24 and 25 in sauger would be two absolute gaints …

yes they are and not so uncommon for pool four, especially through the ice the past three weeks…. and i would have to say some if not most though are probably saugeye

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The saugeye is a hybrid created by crossing a female walleye with a male sauger. Saugeye are easy to visually identify most of the time. They have a greyish/green background with darker saddle-shaped markings like a sauger, and a white tip on the lower margin of the tail fin like a walleye. Saugeye have a black blotch in the last membrane of the spinous dorsal fin; sauger do not. Saugeye have a continuous black blotch on the membranes of the spinous dorsal fin, while sauger have rows of distinct black dots.
    Basically if it has black blotches on the dorsal fin and a white tipped tail it is a Saugeye…No white tip a sauger…
    The fish on the left a 23.5 Saugeye…on the right a 26″ Walleye
    25″ Sauger are definitely uncommon for this P-4 Fisherman

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.