Strang day?

• mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Got out for a few hours today on pool 14. Tried a lot of the things that others have said that are working for them. Jigs/hair jigs with crawlers/minnows, one eyes, blade baits, cranks in all styles/shapes and colors, plastics, and three ways on numerous wing dams, current seams, and along the edge of the main channel. With all that, I managed 1 fat sheephead.

After a couple of hours I decided just to anchor above a wing dam and throw simple crawler rigs and/or jigs along the face or on top of the dam. Caught a little of everything including sheep head, red horse and cats. I did manage 4 eye’s with this presentation. One short and three between 20 and 25 inches during the last hour. (11am-12pm)

The eye’s I caught bit VERY light. If the line moved just a little, you alomost had to set the hook!!! And the three bigger ones came on a small yellow buck tail tipped with a WHOLE crawler.

Just kind of strang how what ever works for everyone else, doesn’t seem to work for me but, what works for me doesn’t seem to work for others. Good day on the water, either way!!!

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I was out last night and got 5 in a few hours after work . All fish came on artificals. Two were 26 inchers, don’t give up on the shad baits they really do work. The key is finding the right wingdam that has active fish on it. It sounds like you had a good day with the crawlers, I’m a jig and crawler fan. I have decided this fall to do some differnt things and alot of them are producing some really nice fish. It’s hard to lay your go to presentation down , but new methods are fun to experiment with.

192-fazer
    Cedar Falls Ia.

Were you fishing a Zenner Rig.

Fishon1
    Eastern Iowa

I was also on pool 14 Thursday and had better luck. I kept 2 walleye and had others in the slot that were realeased to swim another day. I had luck with Rapala #9 crankbait and Gulp shad bait. I had one bite off my shad bait and jig, I threw back asap with a crankbait and it bite it off also. That must of been one big fish.

I think that it is improving and hopefully will continue.

Have a great day.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

A friend and I made it out for awhile on pool 11 last night. VERY slow. Algae bloom, a little grass and water temps at 73 made it an ultra tough September bite. Need some rain and a cool down.

Very little baitfish activity. Seemed like once you got positioned on the channel breaks and wing tips you would start marking baitfish. Just couldn’t get em to go. Wish I would have taken crawlers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.