Bait fish

• gary d
    cordova,il

Made it out to the local sand pits in the area for a couple hours today and have nothing to show. I think the fish will have plenty to eat this fall and winter. At times the bait fish was so thick it blacken the screen on the depth finder. Oh well it was a knock out beautiful day. Hope to go more this week!!!

jigworks
    st.james.mn

The pits are full, shiners fatheads.And hungry perch.The walleyes and the big perch are taking,small twisters and lindy rigs.I am hoping to get out this morning.Wading the shore lines are giving up descent walleyes 14 to 27 inch.Perch 7 to 14 inch.Last week I released 2 pike on twisters 41 inch 44 inch.They are keeping the perch on the move.No meat all twisters.And hair jigs.Well hve a good day.FISH HUNT SLEEP EAT WORKKKKKKKKKKKK

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

speaking of bait fish, does anyone ever try to net some of these shad and use them for bait ?

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Hey Gary, glad to see you got out anyway! How’s retirement treating you?
    Those pits really do get chock full of baitfish this time of year. Still can be a good place to find hungry walleyes and panfish, but you have to cover a lot of water rather quickly to find the feeding fish. Usually on the humps, fairly shallow.
    I’ve never had much luck there this time of year with live bait. Casting cranks or jig/plastic seems to work better. Wing dams in your area should still be holding some fish, if you can find some current seams at the end of dams or near “blow holes” in the dams, casting cranks or jigs to those seams can be productive. Give it a month and the wings will be on fire!

jig-fan
    Port Byron IL

I was on Pool 14 tonight for a couple hours, I tryed some spots I haven’t fished for awhile with no luck. So with the Sun dipping down over the horizon I ran to a wing dam I new was holding fish. I hit four fish in 45 minutes with the biggest being a 27.25 incher. All on shad style baits.I just can’t wait for the water temps to start falling , it should be a super fall. Good to see you posting Gary.Good luck this fall.

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

Got out for a few hours yesterday morning and targeted the wing dams around Camanche. Ended up catching 4 eyes, two short/two keepers, one two pound white bass and a pile of small cats, sheep head, red horse and gills. Only kept the two keeper eyes and one white bass.

Most fish came on a simple crawler on top of the dam’s between 7 AM and 830. (Thinking I should have been out there earlier!!!) The eye’s were biting like bait robbing small cats of gills. Very light!!! On the other hand, the white bass came on a fire tiger crank and almost stole my rod and reel right out of my hand close to the boat!!!

Would have gone again today except earlier but, the wife had a doctors appointment that I had to go to. Maybe later this week.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.