Pepin ice fishing

• Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Anybody care to share any Lake Pepin ice fishing hot spots or “dead spots” that you may have tried? I might try and get out this week to try for that evening bite for sauger. Also, what kind of ice is there? Thanks for any info.

Up here at the dam……it is more of the same. Some people are slaying the sauger and others are finding it harder. Had a couple of guys staying in a cabin the last few days. They did REAL good at the dam. Had over 100 fish the one day. Said they tried downstream one day (below the high bridge) and didn’t have much luck. Thats fishing I guess. Cya.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I have had good luck in the past fishing out in front of villa maria. I usually fish straight out from the landing in about 19-21 ft. Mostly sauger. It gets better as you move towards the point but be careful, the closer you get to the point the worse the ice gets.

Dean Marshall

Thanks for the reply. I just talked to a buddy and he said there has been about 5 houses out there. I know that point is VERY dangerous all winter. Usually opens up with warmer temps. Didn’t say if they were gettin any though. Thanks again.

GeyePilot
    Hayfield, MN

Not to sound like a rookie… But what kind of bait and/or presentations work on the Pepin hard water fish? My folks have lived in Lake City for 7 years, I’m on the water all spring and summer. But we’ve never dropped a line through the ice. Much appreciated!

Dean Marshall

Your best bet is using a jiggin rapala. Helps to tip the bottom treble hook with a minnow head. Also swedish pimple or any jigging spoon works well. Slip bobber/plain hook and minnow is not a bad choice either if you’re gonna use two lines. Hope this helps. It’s pretty simple…..you just have to find the fish!!! When you find the right spot out there, it is a blast. The bite may only last a hour or two maybe, but you will have some fast action.

GeyePilot
    Hayfield, MN

Cool… Thanks for the tip Steve!!! See you out there.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

i got a question, i heard everts landing isn’t charging, is this true this year? that would be great if that was true. also, is it open? or is the landing froze

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

larsonlawyers,

There is a $7 ramp fee at Everts and Steve does a great job of keeping the ramps open in the dead of winter. Keep your eyes on the message board here on FTR and you will almost daily get a ramp report from Everts. You can also read the pool 4 fishing report on the main page that they supply to FTR if you are not able to the info you want on the message board.

Good luck if you make it out.

Dean Marshall

Where did that nasty rumor come from!!!LOL. No, still charging $7…Sorry! I have been able to keep the ramp open so far. There has been a good ice shelf every morning for the last 10 days at least, but I have been able to break it up with my boat I keep tied to the dock. Normally these temps wouldn’t be a problem, but with the low flow it’s a pain. I have to be careful how I say this…..but I think $7 is cheap when I have to get up every morning in the freezing cold to start a boat, (wihch takes it’s toll on the boat), drive up and down the river to break up the ice and chip ice away from the ramp too. It’s a lot more work than I thought. I know I won’t get much sympathy from you guys, but it’s hard to get out of that electric blanket every morning to go chip ice!! Everybody at once say…….ooohhhhhhh, poor Steve!!!! LOL. Anyway, enough of my complaining! Go fish! Thanks.

JimL2
    Rochester, Mn

…….ooohhhhhhh, poor Steve!!!!

LOL!!!!!!!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Keep up the GREAT work Steve, working with the public you don’t always hear the good things, just the bad….ec

nord

Steve, the $7 charge for me to get my boat in open water is a bargain. You do a GREAT JOB!!!!! Hope to see you Saturday.

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

Boy he’d really cry if he had to get out of that electric blanket and go do some real work.

oooooohhhh pooooor steve!!!!

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

Boy he’d really whine if he had to get out of that warm blanket and do some real work wouldn’t he.

ooooohhhh pooooor steve!!!!

JimW
    SE MN

Okay then, back to ice fishing? I personally have never ice fished Pepin, but have always wanted to. If any one has some tips for ice time on Pepin I’m sure more than I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks alot!!!

Jim W

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Guys haven’t been out on pepin yet but just got off the phone with a buddy and he went out to Methodist Camp last night and this morning and nothing. had one walleye up to the hole and that was it. I’ll probely hit pepin next weekend this weekend got the FTL get together I’ll post a report when I do though. anyone who goes out be careful pepin can be wierd.

Nate Cadwell

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hey Steve, I’m not laughing, you do a great job with the whole resort and the ramps. it is a tough job, someone’s got to do it, so it may as well be you, I’m laughing now. Keep up the good job, and we will be down plenty this winter. $7 bucks is nothing for the quality fishing we can enjoy in the DEAD of WINTER. no where else is there quality fishing and a great ramp.

GO STEVE, and EVERETT’s. thanks again. Jack.

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Steve I thought all you had to do when you got up early to clear out the ice was think of that WARM PLACE WITH GIRLS IN NICE SWIM WEAR that vac. you were just on and you warmed right up. Thanks steve your great! Jim

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

I have fished on the Wis. side at stockton or stockholm whatever its called and done well at times other times “should of been there yesterday” we all have heard that. There are sevral spots along the dike road for pan fish and some northerns. just keep warm and its alot of fun.Some fishing down by bass camp, have pulled eyes and sauger there before but again be there at the right time. hope this helps jim

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.