? Seam Fishing ?

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I know of several seams or breaks in the river nearby. But how exactly do you fish these? You have the main currect going one way, the seam I guess, then the other side where the current runs backwards. Do you pitch right into the seam area? Some are faster then others. What am I looking for here?
    Thanks

jhalfen

For me, it depends on how fast the current is moving, and whether or not I am confident in fish being localized in a particualr location along the seam.

If I think fish are localized

If the current is slow-moderate, I will use the bowmount to position my boat outside the seam (in the faster water), just across from the water I want to pitch (on the seam or inside the seam, in the slower water). I’ll cast to the seam or just across it (into the slower water), and let the bait work downstream.

If the current is rocking, I’ll position myself inside the seam, and use the anchor to hold my position. Then, I’ll cast to the faster water just outside the seam, to the seam itself, or to the slower water inside the seam. Again, let the current do the work with your bait.

If fish are widely dispersed, or I’m trying to find fish

With moderate to slow-ish current, I’ll drag jigs downstream, just outside the seam so fish along the seam or feeding in the slightly faster water can see my presentations.

With fast current, I’ll pull 3-ways upstream at ~ 0.5-1 mph, along the seam, outside, and inside the seam.

For guys that don’t know what a current seam looks like, take a look at the pic below. This was taken below Everts last weekend. On the left is fast, rippled water, ~ 1.7 mph current. On the right is slow, relatively flat water, with no downstream flow and in places a slight upstream return flow. Right where the ripples meet the flat water is the seam…almost right down the middle of this frame,

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Great picture and advice Jason!

Thanks,

FDR

kuabzeej

Great information. I was pretty clueless when I was down there this past weekend as a firstimer. I bet it’ll another new experience this upcoming weekend with the high water. Will need to patch this to my forehead next time and maybe I’ll find some eyes besides carps and whitefish.

littlebuddy
    Iowa City

Thanks Jason!
    Great explanation and photos!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

What attracts them to these areas?

jhalfen

What attracts gamefish to these areas?

1. The slack water provides a place to rest out of the main force of the current. When a torpedo shaped walleye starts to look like it has swallowed a soccer ball, it needs to find places to get out of the flow so that it doesn’t burn all its energy just trying to keep its massive frame in one place.

2. The current is the chow conveyor belt. A resting gamefish in the slack water will move into the seam or the faster current to feed, and then transition back to the slack water when not actively feeding.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Very cool…. thank you for putting in all this time.

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Excellent Lesson. Thanks.

maccbell
    Farmington

Is it better to use mono or super line when fishing the seams.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Excellent info thank you very much.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Depends on the presentation and the person fishing, each has their own way.

For blades, I run 8lb braid, pitching jigs 6-8lb high vis mono, vertical same high vis mono used for pitching. I fish with guys that strictly run mono and some strictly run braid. Different strokes for different folks!
    Use what you’re comfortable with.

Jami

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

Quote:

Depends on the presentation and the person fishing, each has their own way.

For blades, I run 8lb braid, pitching jigs 6-8lb high vis mono, vertical same high vis mono used for pitching. I fish with guys that strictly run mono and some strictly run braid. Different strokes for different folks!

Use what you’re comfortable with.

Jami

I use mostly braid, which I should not do. Specially when pitching jigs to current seams. Braid will not drift the jig as well as mono. Braid cuts the water better then mono not letting the jig and line work togather as well. IMO

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Had a chance last weekend to use the info you guys gave me for seam fishing. It wasn’t until I worked the dead area that the first eye came to shore. Had to let it completely fall to the bottom while keeping the rod tip high. This prevented the current from dragging my line elsewhere. Once near the bottom I slooooooowly worked the jig back. The eyes where STACKED in there.
    Thank you very much

jhalfen

Quote:

Had a chance last weekend to use the info you guys gave me for seam fishing. It wasn’t until I worked the dead area that the first eye came to shore. Had to let it completely fall to the bottom while keeping the rod tip high. This prevented the current from dragging my line elsewhere. Once near the bottom I slooooooowly worked the jig back. The eyes where STACKED in there.
    Thank you very much

Awesome! Glad to hear it worked for you.

I tell clients to keep their casts short and their rod tip high, so that the current can’t take a big belly of line and sweep the jig downstream. You’ll see the same presentation from trout anglers working a nymph through a deep pool. This is one of the reasons I like a 7’6″ rod for working seams with light jigs….more rod to keep line off the water.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

My prediction is you will now catch a zillion more walleyes in your lifetime.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Well maybe a couple more

gmartell
    LaCrosse, WI

Seams are something new to me also. Fishing eddies near the dam all the time I just figured out how to fish seams efficiently. What I do is drag or long line a heavy jig along the seam or around the eddie. Most of the time the jig just follow the shape of the eddie. It is really kind of no nonsense way of fishing for me. A heavy head is used to keep the jig on or near the bottom when going against the current.

loshinit420

Awesome thanks for the tips, all are appreciated!

fireline
    Rochester

Does this work all year or just this time of the year ?

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

Seams are a great fish holder any time, especially in high current. Terrific explanation Jason!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.