Pool 4 jigging bite

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Spent the weekend pitching blades and jigging and figured i would give a quick update on the jigging bite. Saturday was a fairly slow day with a few nice fish being brought in jiggin straight plastics but the wind first than motor issues cut my day short with a handful of fish. Sunday was a new day and I was able to hop in the boat with Wallster and his brother …thanks again guys…they had just got onto a few fish and we motored back there and started to get on fish right away. We tweaked around with colors and found for the most part neutral colors to be the best bite. Got a few fish on Everts chart./orage core, chart. pepper but for the most part we found neutral colors to be dominant when the fish slowed down a bit your firecracker/chart, oystershell, pepper/chart and pro blue. match these with Deans new glitter jig heads and you had a good combo. This is now 3 weeks in a row I have had the glitter jig heads (silver, gold, green/chart.) out perform anything else I match against it on my second rod. The water was still 4 ft. or so of clarity which puts these mid day fish in a not so aggresive patter BUT the bite compared to a week ago is much more aggresive and better during daylight hours with the water staining more and more daily. 2 things were the key for us here. 1 color and second hold the jig still do not move it! Check bottom every 30 seconds or in the words of Dean trust your electronics and adjust accodingly! Bump bottom lift and hold, bump lift hold! When lowering your tips to check how far you are off the bottom do it slowly, stay a foot off the bottom seemed to be about the right height. Had quite a few fish grab it on the drop as well. These bites are nothing like a normal sauger bite you just loose the weight of your jig and often times felt nothing at all. Depth did not seem to matter as much if you made a pass and got nothing adjust one way or another they won’t be far away. We hung it up around 1 or so and still had fish biting but hadf our share of fun! Thanks again for letting me hope in guys.
    I also was able to spend the evening with a couple other gentlman dragging and pitching blades and a report i believe is on the way there so i will let those guys cover that area. Now I personally have been a stubborn about rods and thought I have a hundred dollar rod and nice reel this should work fine for pitching blades/jigs i do not need nothing else. Now does it work, yep sure does, BUT last night i was lucky enough to be able to use one of Jami’s new St. Croix Extremes and lets just say Dean got a nice email this morning asking him to have one rigged up with a reel and Berkly Crystal for blades. That rod hands down was one of the most amazing things i have ever used. You could feel everything and anything at the other end of the line that was happening down there. I was lucky enough to get in on a bite that kept my confidence up and once I got the feel for it I found this is something I really needed long ago. The ability of these rods to feel your blade as it falls back is unreal I wonder how many bites I missed in the past by not feeling the bait on the downfall because I believe i had more fish last night 3 to 1 as the bait worked its way back on a tight line. Everyone has heard over and over about the try before you buy from Dean. Do yourself a favor get a fandful of blades and some Everts glitter jigs a few ringworms and mini paddle tails and take one of these out for a ride. It won’t leave your boat trust me. Thanks again to everyone who let me jump in with them yesterday hope to have my boat back by this weekend.
    here is a few pics wallster got for us….sorry about the pictures must have been a little foggy. jk No need to advertise spots the fish are located all over right now.

scare
    austin, mn

Hey nice to meet you and great report, it was also nice to have you in Wallsters boat on sunday so someone could keep up with him in the fish catching, hope you get your boat soon. boy i knew the ice was following down river yesterday but i didnt think its was quite that as heavy as the pictures show.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Nice report Eric and it was a pleasure to meet you. It was fun listening to you tell some people what had worked for you. Helping Dean out in the bait shop is a neat experiance!

Tim

wallster
    Austin, MN

Erick, It was a pleasure to have you in the boat. Scare needs all the help he can get to keep up with me. You said it right by saying the fish wanted the bait just holding off the bottom. We sure did notice how the boat traffic affected the fish. Staying away form the crowd sure helped. Also, not having to go far but just change up the drift a few feet one way. Again I was glad you called to see if we had room. Let me know anytime.
    You find a glass boat yet???? What did you find out on the motor?
    Wallster ><((((>

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

Where did all that fishing line come from in the photo’s? That must be at least 80lb test you were using. Did BK borrow you guys some line? You should try lighter line, that might help you boat a few more fish.

wallster
    Austin, MN

No thats not line, its just the ice that was comming down from 930-11am. I do however think BK gave Scare some stink bait to put on his line. He must have caught 4 or more cats.
    Wallster ><((((>

fishinfool
    mn

Now why would anyone want to ruin a good picture like those with all the scribbling??????????????

FISHINFOOL

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Now why would anyone want to ruin a good picture like those with all the scribbling??????????????

FISHINFOOL

The backround is way to noticeable. The fish are all starting to stage in there spots all along the river we were in no secret spot by any means. No need to advertise one spot when there are many along the way that are begining to hold fish. Will be sure we choose our backrounds better next time though I didn’t wanna do it either but it had to be done I do appologize for that.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

Way to go with all the scratching, now that is a new one! Everyone knows you are supposed to catch your fish in one spot, then drive the mandated 2 miles elsewhere to take the pictures.
    PM sent!
    Jeremy

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Nice job E!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.