3-ways and Sticks

• kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

I’ve been answering at lot of questions lately on the subject, so I thought i’d throw a Post out for view.

3-way and Sticks really have come into play especially for the southern pool guys because of all the unseasonal high water and push’n currents we’ve been experiencing.

When I say Sticks I mean Rapalas or Storms, Rouges, ect.

Fire line or Spider wire is the line of choice, spool it and use it for your lead line to the stick (10lb/4lb dia is best for leader), 20lb/10lb dia for your spool. Use a 6lb mono to the 2-3oz bass or stick type weight. Be prepared to lenghten or shorten your leader, 4′ is a good start. Your aim is to keep the stick sashaying just above bottom. Right now for sticks orange/gold and firetiger have been hot ! Be sure to use a Doulock Snap to attach them.

We’re set, drop it over and feel for the bottom! Run the kicker this time of year at 1 to 2mph – give or take. Let out enough line till you feel bottom and are able to touch it periodically as you progress. FISH-ON ! This is were most of the mistakes are made !!!!!!! It’s natural to set the hook. !!!!! DON”T-let the fish do the work. The problem is that 3oz of lead between you and the fish. The eye usually has the advantage here because when you set the hook you’re sett’n against the weight and the jeck of the fish. Best thing to do is get the rod tip up and get the fish fight’n the rod, then lower it as the fish is coming to the boat-no slack though !!!!! A nice steady reel in is the best, never mind the Bass guys and their jeck’n & reel’n thing go’n. Remember to leave the Walleye for seed, eat the Saugers. Hope this helps with the basics. This is a major system for your Eye fishing.

Good Luck Gofish

Kensyl Reading EFN Pro Staff

Ol’ Miss Guide Service

Huntfish
    Davenport,Iowa

Hey, KReading thanks for the ideas I can use all the help I can get right now ,it’s been tough.I do have a question for you though. Being fairly new to the river Walleye game, when using a short dropper like 6-12″ on a three way, could you possibly get by using a bottom bouncer rig instead.Pros and cons of both ? Just asking your advice, I have very little experience with either up to this point. Thanks for your help.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Ya Hey – Huntfish, good to meet ya the other day. Nice rig, you’d fit right-in with the Pool 4 Fieldstaff guys they all drive Crestliners !!!

Good question, A. Bottom Bouncers really come into their own when using a livebait rig .under trolling motor power. At the slower trolling motor speeds the Bouncers long wire can really work over the rock bottom. When using a 3-way rig and Stick Bait you need more speed to get the Stick Bait to work. The kicker motor provides a better pull. This slightly higher speed will cause the Bouncer to pull at an angle greater than 45deg. which nullifies the bouncing effect of the wire. Also the river current usually warrants 3oz of lead, that size is usually pritty hard to find in B Bouncers. The Bass Casting sinker or the Stick lead sinker are better suited for winter Stick Bait trolling, because of the speed factor and depth of troll. Most of our good trolling flats down here average 18-22′. Excellent question !!! Keep’m come’n

Gofish

Huntfish
    Davenport,Iowa

Thanks for the help KReading I’ll buy the lead instead. Good fishin!

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Yo- H K&K some times carries the Stick Lead, but R&R up in Clinton always has’m on hand. The stick really cuts thru the water the best.

Hey, did you know I teach a 10hr Walleye Fishing coarse for Dav. Adult Ed. I’ve got a Musky coarse coming in March, then Bass Class is April ! Walleye is in Oct. I’ve been teach’n this stuff for go’n on 11yrs now . Gofish

Huntfish
    Davenport,Iowa

I’ll be sure to sign up for the next one .Was planning on attending the last one but had to many things going on at that time. How did ya do at Dav on fri? Wanted to talk to ya at the ramp but there was to much traffic .I did ok but a friend that pulled out the same time I did ,did very well. Talk to ya later.

kreading
    Iowa, Davenport

Ya Hey- H, That ramp was crowded. I was on a clients payroll so I get pretty focused !! Boy, those Stick Baits have really payed off lately – see Reports Pools 16,17

Gofish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.