Making your own jigs….Question?

• nord

The best soft lead I ever got my hands on came out of the x-ray room from a clinic. It’s very thin and real easy to work with. Some electrician friends of mine did the remodeling job and gave it to me. I had so much of it that I sold about 100 lbs of it to a local junk dealer. If your interested I could see if he still has it. Once you take the top of your piece off the jig, use a metal finger nail file, they work real well.

rwheat

I have made hundreds of jigs and if you really want a good paint job use epoxy paint. This is not a fast process because you have to first put on a coat or two of white and then your color. This will give you a finish so hard that you can throw it on a cement floor without chipping the paint. It will dent the jig, but not chip. I get my paint from the Tackle Shop, Box 369, Richardson, Texas, 775080.

fireflick
    Alma WI

i have never been able to chip powder paint after it has been baked either. usually if you don’t have the eyes cleared out before you bake them it is impossible to use eyebuster or anything since the paint is so hard.

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

If the excess lead bothers you after removing the gate, I use a Dremel tool to grind off the excess. I usually don’t bother, but it works. On jigs I use powder paint, but on jigging spoons I spray paint with enamel, then a clear coat. Good Luck, any questions, just ask.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.