Pool 4 Action at Redwing??

• dppeter
    Iowa

I know it is not prime time for Pool 4, but I am planning a fishing trip to Redwing tomorrow and Friday. Any advice on location and presentation for walleyes/saugers? Any action at the dam?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I would put in at Everts, Steve will have any info that is available for the bite. Good Luck!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

The bite at the dam is hit and miss right now. There has been some limits of up to 18 fish that I have seen the past few days. The majority of these fish are running 14-17 inches….the ones being kept. There are quite a few 8-10 inchers being caught as well. The best bait seems to be the plain old 3-way and minnow in 12-14 foot of water for the saugers. The walleye being caught are in a little bit shallower and hitting hair jigs and some plastics now. The bite should only get better as the fall goes on. Good Luck!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Steve,

In your opinion, with the very low flows, will the bite get better? I should re-phrase that, will the concentration of fish get better. I know the fish will put on the feed bags as the temp drops. I’m wondering if they will be much harder to target this fall with the low flows? You’ve been on the river more than most of us, how does the bite right now compare to years past under the same conditions? Thanks!

tigertrout

What kind of water temps are you seeing up there?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

IN MY OPINION… I think the bite will be “normal”. I would say the bite is almost exactly as it has been the past 4 years that I have really been paying attention. The same guys, staying in the same cabins, fishing the same week as the last umpteen years are getting what they usually do. The bite usually starts right about now give or take a week or so. I saw a limit of 18 sauger/walleye yesterday from one group of 3 guys. The biggest sauger was 21 1/2 inches. The next 2 down were in that 19 inch range. The rest were 14-17 or so.

I’m not sure if the fish move up to the dam based on water flow, water temp, or time of year or a combination of all the above. I’m thinking it will be just like any other fall, we’ll see.

The water temp last I heard (during the tournament), was in the upper 50’s or so. Probably jumped up the past few days with the warm weather. Good Luck.

tigertrout

Thanks for the update Steve. I’ll be seeing you in a couple weeks as we are staying in the campers for a weekend.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

and dont forget to cast some rocks. We boated 5 eyes casting ringies on Sunday after the RCL. They are there, they just havent hit full force yet. We ended up catching 4 fish in the 20-21 range and one piggie at 28″, also caught two slab crappies.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

In my opinion, lower flow and slower current allows the baitfish to roam larger areas, and not hold quite so tight to wing dams, points, and wood. It does not mean the fish won’t be there, they will. It will probably mean that you will have to do more moving than in high water when you can park on a wingie and pound’em. Dragging plastics to find fish, and casting when you find a pod of active fish may be the ticket. Let’s see what happens. We should have a lot of input from the guys on the board here…
    Tuck

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Well, this sunday I hit the same techniques I tried last sunday. Boated 4 eyes all day, one at 20″, 3 from 22″ to 24″. Casting jigs/plastics, but had to tip them though. The largemouth seemed to love cranks on this day as we caught over dozen of them. All of them where snugged up tight against the shore in less then a foot of water. Also caught a dozen crappies by accident after pulling the jigs out into 12 to 14 fow.

JJW

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

I’m hoping to get on the pool this weekend and C&R some fish for my annual birthday outing. Haven’t been there since the get together back in August. I sure appreciate the info on what the bite has been. I’ll try and pass along what I find if I make it over there.

IceAge

Any reports since Sunday. Looking to take a client from Colorado down to the river tommorrow and wandering what the latest scoop is.

thanks in advance

Ice Age

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

I made it over on Saturday and found it to be a slow day.
    We pulled some smallies off the wing dams by the dam while walleye hunting. Bombers and white Kalin tails were the best, but it wasn’t like they were trying to commit suicide.

A few eyes were caught on the other side of the river, but that was slow, too. A few down by Red Wing under the bridge.

Also went to the lake and pulled cranks along Point No Point. Mixed bag of catfish and smallies, but not much for eyes.

I’m certain some has a few fish going but with limited time to be there my guesses came up a little short.

Best of luck if you go.

bnihart
    Apple Valley, MN

Hammered’m shallow last Sunday pitching cranks. Even had to throw some back because they were too big. Thats a problem I like to have.

Toad
    New Hampton, Iowa

What were the hot crank baits you used on Sunday?

bnihart
    Apple Valley, MN

Crawfish and a new black holographic #5 shad rap.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.