RCL championship—-8 fish-No cull. ..

• scottsteil
    Central MN

I got my Confirmation letter a week ago and 2 days ago I got the sheet saying they were allowing 8 fish. As far as I know they are still honoring the smaller tournaments. I had a discussion with them the other day in regards to this because I wanted to know through which tournament series I qualiified and where I stood with the other tournaments. They had records of each and told me where I was on the list for each qualifying tournament I fished. They could also tell me who had qualified from each tournament or tournament series.

However, they did say they weren’t giving out as many spots to the smaller tournaments, example, some tournaments may have had 2 or 3 spots for pro’s in the past, now they were getting 1 co and one pro spot. In that regard, they are making it tougher to get into the championship without fishing the circuit.

Tuck, you got a raw deal!!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

J.J., my sentiments exactly. I talked to Mark Dorn about that at Leech Lake. He admitted that it was an oversight this year, but he added they did take the top 5 finishers for the year in the league for the Championship. Rules are rules I guess. If I only would have caught one more fish at Leech! I finished 9th! Bummer….

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

For the RCL Leagues that Tuck and many others of us talked about, they were only allowing 5 spots for the top 5 in league standings at the end of the season. These spots were gauranteed and are being honored. That allows for 20 spots for the 4 league divisions.

I think the scoring is a little goofy for the RCL, but they have been consistant with their qualifying criteria.

I would prefer to see each winner get a spot and 2 wildcards or another method that awards high finishes. FYI, for the MN league, Tuck is in 9th place w/ the most winnings. The guy in 6th never cashed a check (no top 12 finishes out of 70 or so boats).

I just wanted to clear the air a bit. I like the RCL and think that they put on good tournaments. As far as I know, no one is being excluded from the tourney who had qualified earlier in the year.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Thanks Scott, but no sour grapes here. They had their rules, and we know them up front. It did seem a little weird that you could win an MTT or WWA, or LPO, and get in, but if you won a RCL League event, you were not in.
    Tuck

ted-merdan

Personally – I feel that only the individuals who fished the ‘Tour’ events should qualify for the championship. There are several good fishermen who fish the entire 4-event circuit that did not finish well enough on the tour side this year to qualify. It’s kind of hard to justify how individuals fish a smaller circuit or one-time events are allowed to fish the Tour championship. But hey – they have their rules and they do stand by them.

I am not meaning to stir the pot here but that’s my $.02 from a different point of view. I do sign my name as to not be anonymous.

Ted Merdan
    http://www.tedmerdan.com

scottsteil
    Central MN

Ted, I partially agree with what you say. I am fishing the entire circuit next year. I think eventually you will see that the spots available for other tournaments decrease. I believe they will always try to give spots for people that fish the RCL league however.

Who knows, there may be an RCL League Championship in the future too.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

There is an RCL League championship already!

RipnLips1
    Roberts,Wi

The Rcl Championship brings out the best of the best!Being a 4 time championship qualifier I know the compettion.With that said I dont believe you need a Ranger,Cresliner,or lund to be a awsome fisherman.Good luck next year its going to be a blast!

scottsteil
    Central MN

That didn’t come out right Dave, I was referring a League Championship equal to the RCL Championship…in terms of size. As the RCL league grows I think you will see that Championship become a bigger event.

Good luck to all the guys from the site fishing in Iowa!

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Quote:

Thanks Scott, but no sour grapes here. They had their rules, and we know them up front. It did seem a little weird that you could win an MTT or WWA, or LPO, and get in, but if you won a RCL League event, you were not in.
    Tuck

Hey Tuck–That is not true either! I won a MTT and had a 3rd in another MTT,also had a 2nd and a6th in the WWA. When you took out the non RCL boats I had TWO 1st places one 2nd and a 4th place in the four MTT and WWA tourneys I fished. I did NOT get in the championship either.
    Like you said no sour grapes rules are rules,ya right—V

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Quote:

Quote:

I did NOT get in the championship either.

If your goal was to make the RCL Championship why dont you fish the RCL?

I do not think that its all that fair letting the winners of small tourny’s in! They paid a what, $100 to $200 dollar entry fee to qualify for the Big Show

When everyone else that fished the RCL paid $1,250 as a pro or $500.00 as a co-angler to make it???

That does not sound to fair to me!!!

Don Hanson

The Rcl directors are the ones who made the rules. The first year they were taking names and calling tournament anglers so they could have a full championship field. They will eventually phase out the other qulifiers. Until they do, rules are rules. I can see both viewpoints here, but they are giving people another avenue to fish the champoinship. I think that is fine.

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did NOT get in the championship either.

If your goal was to make the RCL Championship why dont you fish the RCL?

I do not think that its all that fair letting the winners of small tourny’s in! They paid a what, $100 to $200 dollar entry fee to qualify for the Big Show

When everyone else that fished the RCL paid $1,250 as a pro or $500.00 as a co-angler to make it???

That does not sound to fair to me!!!

Let’s see if I got this right,it’s how much money you spend to get into the championship that counts??
    The RCL takes the top 35 boats in its own circuit per tournament. That is 140 spots in 4 tournys!Sounds like good odds to me! If you can not make the top 35 once in 4 tournys maybe you should’nt fish the championship,even if you did pay the BIG Bucks!??
    The “small tournys”–{some of them have over 100 boats in them}–ONLY take one or two spots per tourny!
    Dos’nt the RCL have its OWN RCL League that qualifies pro and co for the “Big Show” with entry fees $150 pro and $75 co?
    Even if there are a number of big names fishing it,maybe they should put an end to that too.
    Don’t want anyone geting in to CHEAP!!—Later–V

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

If I had qualified for the Championship for a $75 co-angler entry fee I would be pumped!! Dont get me wrong!
    A shot at $150,000

I fished the whole tour and Qualified, and just feel the RCL Championship should be for the people in the RCL!

I traveled all over to Qualify this Tour Championship.

Its kinda like if I win a game of minni-putt-putt should I get a chance to beat Tiger Woods for the big bucks??
    It just doesnt really make sence!

RipnLips1
    Roberts,Wi

Well said Brian,you wanta shot to beat the big dogs on Your own turf come play with us all year and see where you stand.The first Rcl Championship I got in by a 2nd and 4th in smaller tourneys,alot has changed since then.I believe someone said something very early this year about that.Raw deal pro-v,altough your one less river rat I have to worry about,your hard to beat on 4.Good luck next year ,but dont worry the Rcl wont be coming back the ol’Miss next year for reasons Ive stated earlier.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I’d hardly call winning some of the local tournaments winning a game of putt-putt. These tournaments have some of the toughest competition around. It’s hard to beat locals on their own water.

Gator Hunter

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Come on G

I was just making an example in laymans turms

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

No offense taken. By the way it’s laymans terms.

Gator Hunter

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Tuck won the Mille Lac’s RCL league and that did nothing for him. H etalked to the director this weekend and it dos’nt even put him at the top of the stand-by list.They told him it was an over sight when he first brought it up.

rocketman

question…
    I finished 19th in the Lake Sharpe RCL as a co-angler. Does that mean that I am automatically in the championship in Red Wing this October?
    If it does, and someone needs a co-angler to help them get into the tourney, then shoot me a pm.
    Brian

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Your entry fee would have had to be in by the 2nd of this month

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

so starting next year, what is the entry fee for the co angler side for next years tourney? can you guys help me out. I am looking to join up and get into fishing tourneys. any help would be great.

thanks

shane

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

If you fish the RCL Tour there are 4 tournaments $500.00 a piece and if you Qualify for the championship another $750.00

ted-merdan

Amen Brian and Jamie – well said.

Chappy and Pro-V – I disagree with the format for the championship – I think it should only be for Pro’s fishing all 4 tour events. However rules are rules and if you want to have the best shot at making the championship – leave your home bodies of water and go fishing against some of the best fishermen out there. Anytime of the year on any bodies of water – that’s what determines who’s the best and that’s what it’s all about!

ted

[email protected]
    http://www.tedmerdan.com

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I think that you are missing something about the RCL allowing spots for non-RCL Championship tourneys. I understand that you feel that if you want to make the championship-fish the circuit.

But here are a couple of other arguments:

What are tournaments about, a championship? Or promoting fishing and the sponsors to as many people possible?

Dont more entrants make for bigger purses-and since the RCL tour is where the big boys play, all these other entrants should be considered dead money. Heck-offer another 100 spots to people that buy a Ranger, Crestliner or Lund during the year-make them pay the fee and offer more cash.

By having smaller tournaments as qualifiers, you are encouraging more people to fish tourneys (heck-I got an outside chance at a $250K payday?). You are promoting the smaller circuts, where most people start before moving into larger tournaments-a farm system if you will. And you are promoting their own RCL League format which has been successful and is growing.

Most other individual sports that have tournaments also have qualifiers that let little guys in. US Open for tennis or golf, pool, poker all have smaller feeder tournaments for their championships. So this isnt anything unprecedented.

Finally-if you want to fish the RCL Championship, the easiest way is to pay the cash, travel the circuit and be consistant. It is darn tough to make it by any other means-ask Tuck, Bribigeyes or some others about that.

Peace.

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

Quote:

But here are a couple of other arguments:

What are tournaments about, a championship? Or promoting fishing and the sponsors to as many people possible?

Finally-if you want to fish the RCL Championship, the easiest way is to pay the cash, travel the circuit and be consistant. It is darn tough to make it by any other means-ask Tuck, Bribigeyes or some others about that.

Peace.

Your asking me, This is what I think.

These tournaments are not about advertiseing to me Im a co-angler!

But I dont spend $500 to fish a tournament to show other people sponsers or look Im fishing???

I doubt the Pro’s do either

I fish them to win, to make the Championship, to be able to fish with the best fisherman around. Its a tournament your in it to win it. I hope!!

The easiest way to make it is fish the tour. Well umm ya its the Tour Championship that should be the only way you make it!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

These tournaments aren’t about advertising? I sure hope I don’t come off like I’ve been laying in the weeds here waiting to ambush but…

I recall you recently stating how much you liked your Tuffy but that you intended to replace it. You wouldn’t be buying an R, C or L now would you?

Good discussion guys. To me it sounds like the qualification process is much to intricate and misunderstood by many of the participants. Hopefully things will be streamlined and clarified for next season.

Good luck to all those fishing the Championship!

Quote:

These tournaments are not about advertiseing to me Im a co-angler!

b_sander
    Red Wing , MN

You are Right on, Hopefully soon I will have my Ranger!!

But I would have bought one if I fished the RCL or not I have wanted that “way to expensive boat” for along time …Way before I decided to fish in the RCL.

The tour will just be a benifite that goes with buying that boat.

I do like the Tuffy and if this year I could have fished the RCL in I would have, great boat!! But in 99 my paps bought the tuffy and well I grew to like it. But have always wanted a Ranger!!!

P.S. Good luck on the night eyes…

RipnLips1
    Roberts,Wi

Thanks H2o,I’ll do my best and its about time i get this thorn out of my butt(Pool 4)the last time I cashed a check was in 2001.Dont stay up too late with the full moons.LOL.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

hey everyone,

I wish all of you guys that are going to fish the championship in OCT the best of luck. I know that i am looking foreward to getting my money together and I am going to come after all of you in the standings in the next couple of years. hopefully sooner than later. but good luck and may the best man win!!

shane

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.