pool 14….smokin’!!!!!

• mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

With some nice weather for a change, (not too hot or too windy), I decided to go out and “play” this morning. As it turned out, I got more than I had bargained for, and well worth it!!!!!!

For the purpose of this report, it’s important to note that the keeper size on this pool, (and every pool from Dubuque to the Missouri border, is 15 to 20 inches….with one over 27 inches). (Limit of five.)

I launched out of Camanche and hit a wing dam. Things started out pretty slow with only a couple nibbles, but one of the biggest blue gills I’ve ever seen, (close to a pound!!!!), between 6:30 to 7:45 this morning. After that, I decided to move to one of my favorite spots and give that a try.

Fishing stayed pretty slow for a while but, little did I know, things were going way over the top!!!! You wouldn’t know it by looking in my cooler, 2 keepers…16 and 19 inch, but this was one of the best Walleye days I’ve ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The bad part is I didn’t take a camera )

Anyway, between 8:30 and 10:30 this morning, I boated in excess of 30…..Yes…..30 Walleyes!!!

The down side is that most were in the 10 to 15 inch range…but still fun!!! The up side is that 5 were more than 20″. ( 2 X 21″….1 X 22″…1 X 23…and one my personal best of 25″… !!!!) Not only was the 25″‘er my personal best but, I caught it on an ultra light rod that my brother built for me earlier this spring. (Thanks Chris…”kodmag1″).

It wasn’t enough that she was my personal best, and not to mention on an ultra light…I decided to make it a real challange!!!!! Once she was at the boat I thought it would be fun, to get my net tangeled in one of my rod holders, . ?!?!?!?!

Anyway, pool 14 seems to be hot. If you are a “pool 14” fisherman, or you want to give it a try, NOW is the time!!!!!

I almost forgot….water temp is about 78 degrees and just about every thing was bringing fish to the boat. Jointed shad rappes…blue shad and perch, ring worms…fire cracker, but the big winner for the day….(incert drum roll here)…night crawlers!!!!! Anyway you can throw them, jig, three way, or just on the bottom. (That’s what got my 5 “big fish”, for the day.

All I can say is it’s time to hit Pool 14, and good luck to you all!!!!

P.S. Jig Fan: I think I know the guy you were talking about on an earlier report! That’s why I’m putting a grenade launcher on the bow of my boat What ever happened to ethics???!!!??? Maybe another issue for a thread???!!!???

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

Love to here that. Did you notice any freeze brands on those fish?

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

haasjj

I assume that the “freeze brand”, is some type of way to mark stocked fish???? I can say these fish were clean from the snout to the tail. No cliped tails or fins…..nothing. Not a mark on them!!!!!

Absolutely beautiful across the board!! Made my eyes water!!!

In my opition, just go’s to show what “slot limits” can do for an area, that needs it!!!

192-fazer
    Cedar Falls Ia.

Glad to see you had a good day of fishing down there. If a brother can get an invite to come down and fish with you, I’ll bring the camera. I’m a pretty good net man too Seems like I always have my best days when I fish alone, and nobody to take pictures. My last try was to put the camera on the hood of my truck with a 10 second timer.

Much better to have an old friend take pictures for you.

kodmag1
    NE Iowa

I really think it was the rod I built for you that made it happen. I know I used my extra good MoJo when I built it. By the way, thanks for calling me from the river while I was at work to tell me how good the fishing was. Made my day while I had to sit in an office while you had all the fun.

Unless I see pictures, I don’t believe you.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I fished a tournament in pool 14 a few years back where my partner and I caught close to 30 legal walleyes. Many of them were between 15″ and 16″ but we managed to find a few hefty ones as well. Pool 14 is a great walleye fishery and has been for years. The stocking program at Cordova has also helped the numbers of fish available.

The walleye bite seems to be pretty hot and heavy right now. I made it out at Dubuque last night on upper pool 12. I fished only for a couple hours. I caught 2 fish over 20″ and one 17″ walleye. I also caught a huge sheephead that hit my drop jig. It took me at least 5 minutes to tire him out before I could net and release him. He was fun. My last hour I switched from a 3-way to casting a crank and caught several bass and a striper or two but no more walleyes.

john-tucker
    Northwest Illinois

haasjj, I generally watch for the freeze bands, and had gone a long while this year without seeing any, but over the last 10 days I’ve caught a ton of fish, with about 15% having brands. The stocking program is still boosting our fishery considerably!
    I just posted on the reports forum, with several good days of fishing 14 covered.

livewell
    NW IL

WOW speed, you Da man, at least we don’t have to wait until you get to the bait shop anymore, this internet thing is great…………….

mikez
    Missoula MT, Eldridge IA

BFW

I’m not “Da man”. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time with the right bait! But, you’re right about the internet, especialy this web-site. Great information on what’s working and where. I’m just not going to tell you exactly “which” wing dam I was at .

Good fishin’

evileye
    Milan Il

congrats on a great day speed, glad to hear you guys are on them in 14

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.