July 26 on Pepin-any suggestions?

• Snotfist
    Byron, MN

Hello, I’ve been lurking in here for quite a few weeks now reading fishing reports and all the messages so I thought it would be a good time to just jump in. As for the reason of the post, I will be on Pepin on Saturday and was wondering if anyone had any good spots to check out and what to throw on the line so I can accually start catching fish there instead of just fishing there. Ha ha. I really appreciate any help in advance.

Ben

Art

Read Dustin’s last report and go from there. I don’t get out as much as I would like to but everytime I go I check the guides reports and they haven’t steered me wrong yet. It will give you a good idea what to use. They spend a lot of time on the water and give very good info. Remember the river changes from day to day so you have to be able to adopt. I was by Maple Springs last Sun. and had a real good day. Nothing real big but steady action most of day. Nightcrawlers were the bait for us that day. Good luck.

JimW
    SE MN

If you like catching, keep an eye on the surface, the white bass are starting to plow shad! Keep an extra rod geared up with an in-line spinner of choice.

I was on Pepin last evening and found it a bit slow. I did manage a 22 inch walleye(18 feet near a very deep drop…hint), long leader, orange hook and a leech and a few small sauger with sheepers mixed in.

Graphed a ton, had a lot of short bites. I’ll be on again this evening!

Keep the rods bendin’!!

Jim W

Brian Lyons

Welcome Ben!!
    The Lake can be tough this time of year. Spots to check would be Stockholm pier and the point above it,Deer Island, Maple springs area, the bar above and below Hansens Harbor entrance and Pine creek area just to name a few.

There are miles of flats for the fish to be on, so the key is not to work a dead hole too long,keep moving till you find fish, Jim W. is right, watch for the whites especially in the evening. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Snotfist
    Byron, MN

I first would like to thank all who helped me. On Saturday I did make it to the river and had a wonderful day. It wasn’t the numbers that made is so well but rather the size. We pulled the biggest Walleye out of the river we have ever. I didn’t even think that they exsisted here. LOL.

I only caught a 15″ but my dad pulled in a beautiful 23″er.

Thanks again to everyone.

Beener

Posted a picture along with my message. And to think we had to land this fish without a net because we forgot it.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Ben,

Nice fish! Would you carre to share a little bit about what you caught your fish on and at what depth? Looks like you had a fun day

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Fished the upper end of pool 4 both sat. and sun. We started out about 2:30 sat. and pulled a 22″ then a 20″ then are you ready for this a 28.5″ . The only problem is the big one was on by buddies line not mine . Both the 22″ and the 28.5″ had alot of silver color to them. We only got the 3 fish that day. We went back sun. early and the first fish was 20″. Then it was dead for a while. Then my pole went way over and what a fight . When we got it to the boat it was about a 7-8 lb cat . I had visions of walleye during this fight. Then again my buddy gets a bite and got a 28.5″ walleye with alot of silver color to it. Could this be the same fish in the same spot? It sure looked like it. Then we switched spots and got 4 eater fish, all the big ones were cpr-ed . Just wondered if it could be same fish same spot 2-days in a role????????

Snotfist
    Byron, MN

Quote:

Ben,

Nice fish! Would you carre to share a little bit about what you caught your fish on and at what depth? Looks like you had a fun day

We caught this one between Stockholm pier and the up river point of Deer Island. There is a small point that sticks out there in about 10″ of water. We will just pulling a minnow on a lindy rig. Before we caught this one we caught a nice sheephead (look below). A couple more passes got us a small walleye (mine) and two white bass. That was all we caught all day.

Did you have any luck this weekend. If so I would love to hear about it and where about you got them. If I’ve read enough from here I know you caught something!!

Brian Lyons

Hey Ben;
    Great fish and great picture!!!!!!
    Keep fishing the river and keep posting those pics. I didn’t fish this weekend but the sheep on the lake have been big and plentiful all year. Don’t overlook the lowly Nightcrawler on your next trip, it’s a go to Walleye bait this time of year. Looking forward to hearing about your next trip………B

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Nice fish OMFT!

Sounds like you had a good weekend. Are most of your better fish coming on bait? I have been doing good on cranks the last few times out in 6′ to 8′ of water.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.