fishing plastics

• thommm

Hey everyone,
    I was just wondering if anyone could give me some hints on how to fish ringworms and super doos, etc. I mainly vertically jig fire ball jig and minnow combo and have some luck, but not great luck. I’ve been fishing the river for a while and I still don’t think I have this spring jigging and casting figured out. Any help, location (I live on pool 4), presentations, anything would be greatly appreciated. THanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Start with vertical jigging them just like you would a minnow. A lot of days they dont need a ton of action. Jig and then pause. You will be supprised how many fish will hit it on the pause.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

I live in Red WIng myself and have just gotten into the whole pool 4 fishing thing. Never had done much river fishing so it has been a huge learning curve for me. One of the greatest helpers I have had was Dean at Evert’s Resort. He will give you pointers on how to use those plastics as he also sells them. He will also help get you on fish. I have jigged them, pitched them, bounced them and anything else I was told to try. I have not got a lot but a few good ones. Don’t be afraid to chat with fellow fisherman as I have gotten lots of info from people on the river! Send me an email maybe we can hook up!

nick
    Lakeville, MN

If the plastic bite really is on (which it appears it isn’t at this time), you don’t need to do any fancy jigging, drop it to the bottom, pick it up 6 inches and hang it there, every 10-15 seconds drop it down to the bottom so you know you maintaining that 6 inches or so, and sometimes that triggers a bite too, atleast that’s what I do. If the bite is slower it really seems that jigging them can help.

Be sure you make note of where your knot is on you jig, so the baits sit horizontal in the water, if can make a big difference on some days, only after getting outfished for some time probably 3 to 1 did I remember to check this.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

This time of year there is a lot of pitching and dragging going on too. Pitching to shallow breaks, riprap, sand areas, etc. with light line and light jigs can work very well. Again you aren’t really doing much if there is enough current to sweep your presentation along. Just keep your rod tip up and the slack out of your line. There are all sorts of posts and articles on pitching and dragging. And James and Dustin’s DVD on river plastics is a great source of info. Good luck!

dd

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.