6/20/03 Pool 3 Report By Dustin Stewart

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I had the chance to navigate some new water today with a buddy, here is a quick report of the results.

Pool 3 Report

This pool was a lot of fun and you can bet I’ll make it back as soon as I can. Not a lot of guys out fishing it today either, I did see Tuck out and about running around a few times.

shorefisherman
    Prescott, WI

i fish about 5 miles south of prescott on some wing dams and where the big river (a small streamon the wis side) flows into the mississippi, i do very well in the spring in both areas, but im sure like all other areas, the summer fishing is slower until the evening, i constantly catch a few walleyes in the 20’s every trip i make down there though

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Great report guys! Nice to see you up in this neck of the woods. What ounce jig were you guys throwing at them? I’ve also found the fish on the lower end of Pool 3 to be hanging on the deeper ends of the dam. I’ve been using a three-way/spinner combo and leeches have definitely outproduced crawlers. Although, I’ve been experimenting with scented plastics on the the spinners or plain hooks, and I’m having phenomenal success with them. Keep up the good work!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

bri_bigeyes,

Tried several different jig weights depending on the flow from dam to dam but 1/4oz on up to 3/8 oz seemed to do the trick for us on this day.

What kind of scented plasctics have you been using on your spinner rigs. Have you ever tried just regular ol’ Ringworm on that rig?

shorefisherman
    Prescott, WI

i usually use 1/4 oz jigs because i can get more feel with them, fishing the wing dams is hard if ur not used to pulling a jig over rocks, my favorite color would have to be orange

definatly ringworm, that has taken off as a hot plastic in this area

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We got some fish as well, later in the day what appeared to trigger the fish was to move the nose of the boat to the edge of the wing dam, and cast cranks across the face. I held the kicker into the current, and my partner casted cranks across the face. Many of the strikes came as the crank would pass close to the face. Where are the fish in Bufalo and Miley’s??? We got smaller fish in Miley’s, and the rare “Zero” in Buffalo! Got some nice cats on Saturday on a 2 boat guide trip with Dirk W. We had 3 fish over thirty, and a few over 20 for the 2 boats. I will have pictures when I get back from Arizona…
    Tuck

shorefisherman
    Prescott, WI

this is interesting, i guess becuase the water is pretty low

all this rain should bring the level of water back up for a while and maybe the fish will be more active, or at least be moving

thanks for the report

shorefisherman
    Prescott, WI

i was out last night right below my house and me and a friend caught about 40 walleye/saugers. granted that the biggest one was prolly 16 in and not many even streched to 14 in. but that was still a lot of fish. I was just useing a jig and a nightcrawler right at the mouth of the big river. it was a good night considering only we fished for a couple of hours.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.