Pool 5a

• mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Has anyone been by Bass Camp? Can a guy get a small 14ft put in? willing to slide it on the bay ice. Need info please. DOUG

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Doug-I was just by there on Sunday. There is still a lot of ice at the dam there. There were a handful of guys ice fishing just a little south of the dam. It looked to me like you have have to push the boat a long ways to hit water, and even then there isn’t a whole lot open yet I have a feeling that could change pretty fast once the warm air hits toward the end of the week

riverfan
    MN

Doug,

Based on the look at Alma, I’d say hold off a week. If you need any help pushing that boat Im willing!

John

P.S. You can launch at Alma

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Is the ramp at Alma open now? Do you know about the Belvedere landing? I am going to try to get the boat out this weekend and would like the first trip to be relatively close. I did see that Dresbach was trying to open as I crossed the bridge Monday but it will be some time there yet.

Thanks!

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

That might work

VikeFan

Quote:

Is the ramp at Alma open now? Do you know about the Belvedere landing? I am going to try to get the boat out this weekend and would like the first trip to be relatively close. I did see that Dresbach was trying to open as I crossed the bridge Monday but it will be some time there yet.

Thanks!

I am heading up to the Winona area this weekend–I am a little surprised to hear that there is still much ice below the lock and dams. I will check them out Saturday. Is anyone still ice-fishing below the dams at Dresbach, Trempeleau, or Winona?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I went and checked Tremp out today. The parking lot has not been plowed in quite some time so be careful in there if you don’t have 4 wheel drive. The ice is still shore to shore. Not any tracks going past the long wall. There were a couple guys tip up fishing the bay.
    There are also a few people still fishing Dresbach as of a couple days ago.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

If I can swing it, I will check out the Dam in Winona tomorrow. I have not heard of any open water except Red Wing in this area. I will try to post a message if I get over there and see what it looks like.

tipupsonly
    Western Wisconsin

They are still fishing the long walk at Dresbach as of today.

riverfan
    MN

Belvedere is open and in good shape.
    John

Craig Schmitt
    west union ia

can anybody tell me if pool 9 genoa is open or how to find out thanx.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yes, Genoa is open from the landing and south I don’t know how far south, but my guess is quite a ways.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

How about 5a? Please I need to know Is there open water? I will side my small boat on the ice to get there. LOL Don’t want to make the drive for nothing. Doug

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

its open from the dam below Fountain City all the way up as for as I can see to the next bend thats the best I can help ya sorry I was a gambling man I would say its open at 5a

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

That’s what I’m talkin about! Thanks for the info. Doug

Chris
    Rochester, MN

You’re a man with a mission Doug and I bet you are gonna meet some waldos face-to-face sometime in the near future. Good Luck

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I just got back from a drive up the WI side from Winona to Fountain City. In Winona, the river is still ice all the way across with the slightest signs of thinking of opening up.

The Dam at Winona (WI side) is open just below the dam but no further than the Dam Saloon on the WI side. It is open further south on the MN side but no access. A few of the wing dams are also showing signs of opening.

In Fountain City, the public ramp is far from being open but the main channel is open about 2/3 with ice on both shores. The ramp behind Kwik Trip is nearly open, about 15′ of ice but the ice pack on the road might make clearance going under the RR bridge an issue. The main channel was mostly open heading towards Bass Camp as far as you could see from Fountain City.

I did not drive up to Bass Camp.

I will probably head for Alma (Belvedere) or Red Wing this weekend.

Art

Thanks for the update. May be towards the end of next week if we get the warmth. Hope so.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Bass Camp is still Iced up pretty good. Will be a couple more days till one can slide a small boat in. Alma is open! Doug

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I spent too much time trying to get the boat ready but it should be well worth the efforts. The motor and trailer are ready and the new carpet is on the new floor I put in last fall. I will be on the water tomorrow, if Alma is open I will probably go there.

If anyone is at Alma today please try to post a report.

Thanks

VikeFan

Basically just to repeat earlier reports…I checked the tailwaters below 5a by Winona this afternoon. There is open water beside and below the locks for quite a while, and the open water right below the gates has grown since I was out there three weeks ago.

I also saw the same small patches of open water above and below the bridge in Winona as were reported earlier. There were two guys ice-fishing below the Dam Saloon, and the private launch there is still locked up tight. Dick’s Marine is of course froze solid, and the St. Charles Street launch iced up too.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Aside from trying to launch my Explorer with the boat on the ice covered ramp this morning I did make it out to Alma today. We ended up fishing the deep scour break below the power plant with some success. We ended the day keeping 11 walleye and sauger and released 3 small mouth bass. Lots of boats fishing this afternoon from the ramp to the dam but we did not fish that direction at all.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.