With the Water Rising

• mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I am wondering how this rain (we had over an inch here) will affect the river levels and assume that will in turn make the fish change location. Any thoughts on how high the river might go up and how it will affect the walleyes?

I would talk about the cold front, but that is another story. Look forward to fishing with Jarrad Fluekiger this Friday and getting time on the water as well. First the turkey!!!

Mark

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

no takers on this so far… so I will dive in!….
    yeah.. for sure the river is coming up… every ditch and creek is over bank up here right now… all heading for the croix… this all hit pretty fast so its gonna push the water up pretty decent… I would not be suprised if it might raise pool 4 around 3′ or so…. but predicting that sort of thing is pretty hard!.. all I can say is for sure it will raise… and muddy the river… this will move the fish towards shore and concentrate them on current breaks.. it actually makes fishing easier… though the first day or so while the water is really changing they can be a bit tougher to locate consistantly since they are in transition…. trust me.. we need the water… it should help the spawn be better….. unless its tooooo late already!…..

orca
    Red Wing, MN

Rivereyes I have been trying to send you a note.Dont think it took. Im trying to figure it out. Im all thumbs on computers.

Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

It may also drop water temps a ton. The river was running low, clear and warm – temps in the mid 50s at Lock and Dam 3, and even the low 60s at Lock and Dam 1. This precip could cause the river to be higher, muddier, and temps could drop back into the 40s…. could make fishing a little interesting for the next couple of days. Maybe a good weekend to spend Easter with the family.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.