Stable warm weather=great pool 4 bite!

• dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

The walleye and sauger fishing continues to be very good on pool 4 .
    I was on the water Wednesday with a good customer of mine, Darwin Viker. I ran the same program as last Sunday. Pitched for walleyes in the morning and went vertical from 10:30am until 4:15pm for saugers. Very nice Saugers were plentiful in the 20-23′ depths. Chartreuse pepper super doo’s and oyster shell ringworms on 5/16oz plain lead, or black precision heads worked their magic again. Saugers were really on the chew today, our sauger fishing ended with 37 fish in the 15-19″ class with about 20 dinks in the mix. Once we dropped in to water deeper than 23′ the fish became much smaller but the numbers were greater. The deeper water produced 3-4 dinks for every 15″ plus sauger. Best jigging method for the sauger was to just hold motionless 1“-3” of the bottom. I have not been able to coax those fish in to chasing my baits up off the bottom very far.

The walleye bite was very good as well casting the shallows. Ended the day with 23 walleye in the 18-21″ class. No big mamas on this day but we had 6 eye’s that were cookie cutter 21″ fish. 1/8oz precision heads coupled with oyster shell, firecracker/chartreuse tail an pro-blue ring worms did the trick for the walleye. 12′ of water and less was the best depth for the eye’s. We caught fish on both sand and rock. No fancy jig motions, just slowly lift and drop while working the bait back to the boat. The water’s cold and the forage base is exceptional right now with all the dead and live shad floating around. Less is more on your plastics presentation right now! Those eye’s will shy away form an aggressive jigging style on most days but a subtle do nothing jig motion will prevail over aggressive movements of your baits in this cold water.

Get out and get fishing!

RBThere2
    Viroqua, WI,

Wow Dustin that sounds like a career day for most any fisherman Sure wish I lived a bit closer and had more time to enjoy Pool 4. Great catch and keep us informed. RB

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.