pool 4 mon. 3/31

• Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

started out at Evertt’s and headed down river. partner and I caught 2 sauger at hay creek, 16,17 inches on superdoo, 22 ft. made one drift near bridge, nothing there, then got down river late. 5 boats working the area we wanted to fish. a friend who had been there for a few hours, had a 20in sauger with 20 fish for 2 fisherman in 3 hours. wind was a problem with winds blowing right up the channel with current in the opposite direction. made for tough boat condtrol, or lack of it.. overall slow, but enough action to keep you expectations high. for the two of us had 19.19,18,18,18, and a number of 15-17 saugers no walleyes. best depths was 20-23 ft. also no big saugers. went up river for try shallow riprap area and shallow sand. using home made jigs and 3in tails, had norherns of 25,22, and 4 or 5 20inches. also walleyes of 22,23 inches also on the jig and grub tails. used Kalin grub got 21 walleye and 6 walleyes 14-15 inches. over all descent day, but was hoping to get a few bigger fish, but didn’t happen.. late afaternoon and evening the barges were operating and saw 2 go through the lock. yup tugs and barges are back, would then have to think the pepin iced out, or it was thin enough in the lower end of the lake that it could break through easy. later Jack..

TheDrake
    Castle Rock Colorado

Sounds like a good day to me.

PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Jack, congrats on a very good day. As you know, I fished Sat with three guys in the boat. We ended up with 10 walleyes over 20″, biggest was 26, with a handful of 19 and 17″ fish. Also got six bonus smallmouth, biggest was 18 3/4. All came pitching plastics to rip-rap. It cost us some jigs and plastics to hang-ups, but was worth it. Chartreuse was the hot color.

We did very little verticle jigging, and got just a few 15-17 sauger as a result.

Call me when you get a chance.

Coffee
    Burnsville, MN

Hey Jack and Paul
    1st time actually posting anything here, but read it all the time. Looks like you both did pretty good on Sat and Mon.
    I made it out Sun with Bill R. along with it seems 100’s of other boats. We got out later than planned but were on the water by 7:30. We worked upstream of Everts far right side up from the Y but quite a ways downstream. Picked 2 northerns casting Kalin Tails. Worked farther downstream MN side Picked up 23″, 21.5, 20.5, 18.5, eye’s, an 18″ sauger, and another 15. Used a Dubuque Rig with Chartreuse Super Doo’s. Worked really slick, working just one rod. Bill had a little tougher time of it, but eventually got the hang of it picked up a nice 21″ sauger on a jig a crawler and an 18″ eye on a Kalin tail. I honestly think he may have have too much lotion on his hands. I told him negative Scent really makes a difference whether you catch something or get snake bit. He figured it out and put a couple nice fish in the boat. I must have picked up another 20 or more smaller saugers 12-15″‘s. Most caught off Diamnond Is. 12-20 ft. We worked inside and away from the pack, which seemed to follow whenever I landed one, but that’s the way it goes. Worked downstream near fishermans cut, as well as hays Creek area, picking up only a few smaller saugers. Ran into roger working downstream. They had picked up a few earlier in the am. Nothing too big. Gave my boat partner the RAZ about being left handed, but I really didn’t care what hand he used with the landing net.
    Dave C.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.