Alma?

• sbr_it

It’s getting about the time of year to make a few trips over to Alma and fish. Wonder if anyone has been over that way lately with anything to report?
    Thanks.

luveyes

I was out there a few weeks ago and the bite was great! Lots of whites and eyes.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Welcome to the site luveyes! Good news on the Alma bite as well. Thinking of heading up there this fall sometime.

fireflick
    Alma WI

The bite in Alma has been good. Side cuts and the wingdams lower on the pool have been good. Most people are dragging jigs with crawlers or pulling cranks along the front of side cuts and tips of the wingdams. A few good saugers are making there show at the dam as well.

sbr_it

Thanks for the help. My mother-in-law’s uncle is coming up from Kentucky at the end of this week to go walleye fishing. Evidently in conversation a while back she mentioned she had a son-in-law who liked to fish, as does he so he decided he needed to come up to Minnesota to walleye fish. Anyways, we are headed up to Mille Lacs on Friday and I’m planning now to hit pool 5/Alma on Sunday with him. I will put in at the new West Newton landing. I am gaining major brownie points this weekend . Not that I need them though. So what is working right now in the Alma area? I’ve always fished the dam area using a debuque rig, but not quite this early in the Fall. Will fish be up there yet? What are some other areas I should look to fish and what kind of presentations should I be using? How do I locate wing dams and side cuts? I’m not a river expert so I could use a bit of help. Thanks.

Andy

fireflick
    Alma WI

A lot of guys are jigging up at the dam right now. You will have to sort through a lot of little ones but the action has been fast and furious. If you are looking for big fish start working wingdams.

sbr_it

How do I locate wingdams? and once I do what is the best way to work them? Are they in a specific stretch of the river? Sorry for all the questions but the whole wind dam thing is new for me.
    Thanks.

Andy

eyebuster
    Duluth

I am not an expert myself but here is an article for ya! Wingdams

uhlee1
    Dav. IA

Quote:

How do I locate wingdams? Are they in a specific stretch of the river?

You can download the Mississippi River Navigational maps here. They show all wingdams, launches, etc.
    web page

sbr_it

For some reason I can find a map. The link comes up and an Adobe file as well, but there is no map. Any help? I’m clicking to get map 21 I believe. Thanks. Also, any K-Grub color recommendations for Pool 5?
    Thanks.

fishin101
    Rochester, MN

Click on the last light blue link, “All Mississippi River Navigation Charts”. When your computer pops up asking if you would like to open or save, select save. It takes a while to download the files but it is well worth it! Great detail on all markers and wingdams. Good luck!

sbr_it

Fished Alma for about 5 hours this morning and early afternoon with slow results. Only brought 4 suagers and a handful of white bass to the boat. If one wanted to I think they could have cleaned house on the white bass as they were actively feeding on the surface minnows. Largest white bass went 13″ and the largest sauger 15.5″ All fish were caught using a debuque rig with a chartruese jig/ 4″ firetiger munchie and a colored hook/ minnow. Saugers were 50/50 on between the two and with all but 1 white bass hitting the minnow. Water temps seemed a bit warm yet as I recorded 61 degrees at 8 feet. Imagine if we get some colder weather things should pick up a bit down that way.

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.