Walleye, Plastics, & a lite bite

• Inge
    West Central WI

Hello again to the FTR folks.
    I just got done reading RiverEyes Pool 4 post, and James’s description of snapping worms.
    So I was on Pool 4 today myself. 1st time. I would like to thanks Mr Vick at Everts for being the friendly guy he is, in particular at 6:20 am!. Great place to launch, and I shall use it again.
    I also didn’t go up with all the folks around the dam. I just searched around and threw plastics. I wish I had tried more “snapping” but for the most part I used a slower presentation and I wasn’t very successful(17 walleye & 2 small sauger).
    Anyway here is my question. This is the 2nd time I have tried plastics on the river. While I have caught a few fish, and had a few “real” strikes where it was easy to hook up; I am certain I am missing fish. On a number of occassions I can sense weight, or feel a real lite tap. I am missing these fish. As lake fisherman, normally using jigs&minnow in the spring, the conventional wisdom is; wait a second after the tap and then set the hook. A wise fisherman, if he/she misses the fish will bring their jig into the boat. Inspecting the minnow will often show teeth marks(strikes) on the side of the minnow. When this happens what one does is start to give line on the hits. Sometimes so much line one is almost “sight” fishing, waiting till you can see the fish running with the bait. So I have tried this with the plastics down on the river, and guess what… no one is ever home. What I can’t figure out is: is this caused because of the plastic? because of current(it slides the bait by the walleye)? or am I so ignorant I am missing something altogether?
    Anyone with any advice, I would appreciate it. I will try faster snapping next time I am down there.

Thanks again Steve Vick, and to all the posters here.

Inge

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

17 walleye is not very successful? *sheese*… kicked our rumps….
    with pure plastics it dont pay to wait before hook set… most of the light taps are small fish… they are short hitting it… I suppose some larger fish might do that as well when they are negative like today….. some people use trailer hooks to pick off these bites… thats usually just helps me nail some short fish…..
    glad you found fish away from the dam.. with what I saw up there, there are a few places that should be worth trying and be no worse!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Go with a lighter jighead… a heavy weight will keep the walleye from being able to inhale your offering. The fish inhales… and that 1/2 ounce jighead goes nowhere. All you feel is a “tick” and a missed fish.

Second, never, ever wait! Not even a second. If you even think to yourself “hey, I had a hit, set the hook” it’s already too late! Your hook set should become an instinctive thing where you set with the rod before you even realize what’s happening… a bit like if I throw a ball at you unannounced… you don’t think, “hey, here comes a ball, I better put up my hand to catch it.” You just react. Fast. If you did have to think about that ball coming towards you, chances are it would bounce off your nose before you could talk yourself into doing much of anything. And I’d feel bad.

Same thing when fishing plastics. TapHookset. No pause.

Hope this helps some. Any other questions, just holler back.

Inge
    West Central WI

Thanks James & Rivereyes,
    I will use this next time. Faster sets, more like what I am use to doing during the summer months on inland lakes,
    when the fish are more agressive.

And to Rivereyes…. I wasn’t complaining, it was a GREAT day to be out, tons of eagles, some mallards, some geese, and a pile of Merganzers. I love watching them.
    And heh – I could have been working!!!

Best of luck to both of you – and if you are fishing tomorrow in the ole chilly backside turny, hope you latch onto some good ones.

Inge

bigwalleye
    Ellendale

hey Inge, what line are you using, try using 4 or 6 pound fireline, no stretch, low diameter, less resistance, quicker hooksets, give it a try, works for me

Inge
    West Central WI

Thanks Big Walleye!
    Today I was using 8lb Berkley XL. I also have PowerPro in 10 & 20lbs, but usually don’t use it until I start bass fishing in the summer months(ie: its a good slop & lilly pad line). I was throwing 1/4 once slider hooks with 5 inch Kalin grubs, and also tried some 4″ barlows ring worms,
    and a few hand poured 4″ shad bodies.
    I need some new line anyway!
    Inge

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.