Pool 4 stage and flow after the storm

• jhalfen

After shoveling 10″ of heavy wet snow yesterday I started thinking about how it will affect the stage and flow on Pools 4 and 5 in the short term. Here’s what the USACoE thinks for Pool 4: up 2.5 feet by next Monday, with an increase in flow from 24000 cfs to ~35000 cfs. That prediction was made yesterday am, well before the end of the snow. I’ll be watching this closely and will post an update as soon as the CoE does.

jhalfen

Tuesday’s update. Pool 4: the water is now expected to rise by ~ 1.5 feet over its current level. “crest” is expected on the 23rd. Peak flow of ~ 31-32000 cfs expected by the 21st and continuing for most of that week.

Pool 5: Flow expected to increase from the current 35000 cfs to ~ 46000 cfs, and the level is expected in increase by about an additional foot, during roughly the same time period as the pool 4 changes.

Not a blow-out by any means! If we went back to 50s and rain, things would certainly be different.

walinutz
    Cologne, MN

so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not good… GREAT!

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Bring on the high water…..as long as the water stays clean

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

YA dumb question by the looks its good but I dont have a boat at the moment so was thinking about going to the alma fishing float this weekend but wondered if it would be worth the trip wth the rising water any input on that by any chance?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

so is this a good thing or a bad thing?

I was wondering the same..

I thought maybe the walleyes were going to start jumping over the dam or something.

jhalfen

The float was still buttoned-up tight last weekend.

jhalfen

Here’s the Wednesday update. How much this matters is tough to say, given that the Red Wing area is directly in the path of tonights/tomorrow’s snowmaker. In any event:

Pool 4: Our time in the icebox has staunched runoff into the river. As of today, the river is forecast to come up an additional ~ 4 inches, topping off on Monday. The peak flow is now predicted at ~ 25000 cfs, which is just a smidge more flow than we currently have.

Pool 5: Flow is currently at 35000 cfs and is predicted to waver between 30000 and 350000 cfs during the current forecast period. The tailwater elevation is preducted to waver +/- 6 inches from its current level.

Remember, this will all likely change if we do get a big snow dump in the next 24 hrs. However, the continued cool temps, especially at night, should still prevent us from having the river blow out in the near future.

stevem
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I need a little “101” – how does high water improve fishing?

Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quick answer here… higher water pulls fish up from downstream and concentrates them in numbers in the few low current areas they can find. Fish also seem to have a harder time finding food in high water so they can get very aggressive.

River guys LOVE high water on pool 4. The best fishing each year seems to take place when the water is up in the trees and all the lake guys have split to go panfishing on the metro lakes.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I saw on the river shorelines where the water once use to be. It looked about 7-8 feet, does it get that high? Or was I seeing erosion?

LazyEyez
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

I saw on the river shorelines where the water once use to be. It looked about 7-8 feet, does it get that high? Or was I seeing erosion?

The water gets that high occasionally and erosion plays a part everywhere on a river system with fluctuating water levels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.