Weekend Report Pool 2

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

How did everyone else do on pool 2 this weekend? I see that not everyone listened to the weather mans poor forcast and got out and enjoyed some decent weather on the river.

My fishing for the weekend started on thursday afternoon with a short mid day trip in the 494 area. Spent a few hours focusing on the sauger bite near the airport and 494 bridge. Not much happening that trip with only a couple of nice saugers making it to the boat on Firecracker ringworms. Thought that maybe the bright skys and mid day was the reason for the slow bite on this trip.

Friday I was able to waite until 4pm to start fishing. Thinking the evening sauger bite would be a little better at the airport that was where I started. It was a little better but only mid sized walleyes wanted the ringworms that evening. Picked up a couple mid channel and a couple more in 18′ on the edge of the channel. Did also spend a little time pitching some wingdams and current breaks in the lillydale area on our way back to the landing with no results. Even that the fishing was a little slow this was a very nice evening to fish with the mild temps and no wind.

With saturdays forcast for wind and rain TBO and myself headed out early from lillydale to look for some new fish. Spent the morning pitching some shallow current breaks. Figured this most likely would not be good for numbers of fish but might be able to find a couple of decent ones and this worked out. Our first stop showed nothing but our second and last stop of the morning produced a 20″, 22.5″ and a very fat 26 3/4″ walleye. Also got to tangle with a couple of large rough fish . Since noon was my dead line that second stop was our last of the day.

Woke up early this morning to 20 degrees at my house and no wind. Away I went with the boat for anouther short trip. Once again picked up a nice 22.5″ eye on the first spot pitching shallow current breaks. Second area produced nothing. With the high skys this morning I then decided to try a couple of quick drifts for fish at the confluence. I only picked up one nice saugeye. Missed a few others.

This was it for me for over the weekend. Didnt catch a ton of fish but did get to enjoy some very nice weather and pleasent fishing conditions.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sounds like you’re getting to know your new boat well Mike!

It was a great weekend to get out.

By the way…what color ringworms did you “tangle with some rough fish” with…

wetfly
    St. Louis Park

Had similar situation on the Duece. Thursday/Friday, had decent draging and vertical luck. Saturday/Sunday, the bite had slowed, and the weather was definately going down hill. 494 wingies were slow to non-existent today, but confluence producing some fish on the break and main channel. Did boat a 28″ which makes the day a success for anyone. Will definately be out this week to force feed em’ again.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome aboard Snap. What boat where you running. I left the confluence around 12.30. Seemed like those fish where just getting going then.

The MN was dumping alot of ice this morning also. Pretty good mud line coming out of it.

wetfly
    St. Louis Park

I run a 16′ lund w/ 50. Probably seen you down there before. I got to the confluence right about then or a bit later. Fish did peak around then, and tailed off significantly. Weather pretty much ended the day for me.

riverfan
    MN

A question for the pool 2 guys. what do you think the update to Holman Field will do to the fishing? The plans include widening the river in that area. I assume it will change the flow etc.

John

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just started to hear about this over the weekend. Still havent heard much info on it. You say they are going to widen the river? Heard that the airport is going to be made flood proof. Maybe they will add some more wingdams and riprap.
    That thing about making the airport flood proof sounds like something our friends tried on the lower end of the river and it failed last year. I say let that airport flood. Would be lots of good current breaks for fishing high water walleyes.

If you have any more info or links to info pleaase post. Also caught wind of some company being caught dumping chemicals in the river lately. Anyone hear more about this.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

I fished pool 2 on sunday morning to early afternoon. I hit the airport area first which produced one 15 inch sauger. After everybody else left I decided to head up river which turned out to be a good idea. I met Mike W up there and he took a pic of 22″ walter for me. I also caught a 21.5 and a 16 all on a firecracker ringworm. A toothy critter slammed this color too and took my jig. I switched up to a pro blue after Mike left and caught 2 dandy saugers, 22″ and 21″. There were around 10 boats when I left the area. I tried to post some pics, but I cannot get the size reduced for this site.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I tried to post some pics, but I cannot get the size reduced for this site.

If you send them to me, I can get them posted.

[email protected]

-J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

I had a cancellation from a trip yesterday with the anticipation of the snow coming, so I hit the river for a bout 5 hours and probed the shorelines more than anything. 3 fish and missed 2. Nothing big, but I did not get bit once on a wingie. Looks like the water levels are starting to rise and the water is starting to dirty up. Looks like I will will be on the northern part of the river at least for next couple days.

Any reports from the confluence? Sounds like a few fish were caught there this weekend?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone going to be heading by the lillydale landing soon. Was wondering how bad of shape it is in. Might have to bring the snow blower down there. Dont let my wife see this. I told her mother nature can take care of the drive way.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Mike!
    I’ll check it out tomorrow. I have a feeling that with 12″ of snow and the temps we are gonna have this week that the Lilydale ramp will be out of commission for a while again

I didn’t get into anything saturday morning and I had to leave by 9:00. But I think we will have a decent daybite going soon with all the run-off that will be coming

Later sir!

dd

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thats why I want to bring the snow blower down. Other wise it would be next week before it was usable. Maybe the city will put me on the pay role.

Southerner
    St. Paul, MN

I was out both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was the better of the two days with action right of the bat jigging the channel at the airport. Seemed that most folks were up shallower in 16-18 fow but we found a better bite out deeper. Also picked up a fat mama sauger deep near 494. Chartreuse ringworm was the ticket. Nothing found on wingies however.

Sunday, well… let’s just say it was a nice day for a boat ride.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here are the pics from fish them all:

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Nice fish! With that background just give me the depth and I can sit right where you were I have never really understood why folks would be secretive about pool 2 anyway. Its totally catch and release. What would be the point? Can’t wait to get back out there!

dd

dd

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I dont think people are too secretive about Pool 2 at all. Now, if you are talking favorite wing dams, that is a little different.

But in general, I know Mike W and myself give some pretty detailed info. DeeZee always gives the depths, structure, techniques, colors, etc. He doesnt give exact locations, but he guides on that water-so you can understand why.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have no problem giving detailed info because very seldon is there to days in a row that fish the same way on the river. If you dont have that ability to adjust to the changing conditions you might just miss the good bite by that much.
    Pool 2 being catch and release does help with the sharing of info also. If pool 4 was my home waters chances are the info would be a little more vague.

A big thumbs up goes out to Drewsdad for hitting the lillydale ramp with the snow blower this morning. The ramp is not snow free but by 2 this afternoon the sun was already melting threw what was left. There was a ice shelf at the end of the ramp but wouldnt think it is that thick as it was not there over the weekend.
    The 494 ramp had not been plowed as of noon today. Looks to be about 4″ of snow on it. Would think 4WD would get you in and out. Just dont ice it up.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Mike and Dave!
    I certainly wasn’t accusing anybody of being secretive. I really don’t know anybody who is on pool 2 walleyes. I was just struck by the background in that nice pic. A lot of folks might black something like that out on another pool or lake. I just am real impressed with the way people share info on this website and are so helpful. It really is a class operation all the way through!

And I’m not totally a good samaritan on the ramp cleaning. I want it open for me too But thanks Mike for the high praise. Nice thing about mid-march is that the sun is just to powerful for things to stay wintry for long.

dd

Walleyechaser
    Hastings, MN.

The company being sighted for dumping chemicals I believe was 3M chemilite plant in Gray cloud island. I believe I heard it on the channel 9 or channel 11 news about a month ago. They are . Who knows how long this has been going on but it’s not good. Any one else heard about this.

Walleyechaser
    Hastings, MN.

Being catch and release has been the best thing to happen on that stretch of the river. I personally fish it alot and all summer and exspecially in the fall. All I can say is nice fish. Becomes a little addictive. Am I right boys. That stretch would never be that way if it weren’t for catch and release fishing. In the summer and fall I spend almost every day putting walleyes in the boat that most people only deam about. So my hats off to leaving it catch and release. Plus not many people bud. Thats the best because to many people think like you. So thank you all the people who feel the way he does. Because it keeps it quiet that way

Walleyechaser
    Hastings, MN.

Sorry about the remarks. I thought you were nocking the catch and release. I also mean it when I say not many people bud. That makes it worth it right there, peace and quiet.

shayla

Quote:

Nice fish! With that background just give me the depth and I can sit right where you were I have never really understood why folks would be secretive about pool 2 anyway. Its totally catch and release. What would be the point? Can’t wait to get back out there!

dd

dd

I don’t keep no secrets from anyone….I’ll PM anyone that asks the EXACT location and depth where I haven’t been catching them! Seriously, the wingies have been slow for me, but the rip-rap is producing pretty good….especially when the sun shines.

Southerner
    St. Paul, MN

Gotta post a correction re: the “chemical dumping” by 3M. That’s simply not the case. To briefly explain, 3M’s Cottage Grove facility, aka Chemolite, had manufactured for years and years 2 chemicals used in the Scotchgard products. Recently it was found that trace amounts of these chemicals, in the single digit parts-per-million concentrations, were found in fish in the adjacent Mississippi River. It should also be noted that trace amounts of these chemicals were found in fish and other animals in other places in the world, too, so this isn’t a Chemolite-specific finding and is not indicative of chemical dumping in the river. Rather, it indicates that the Miss River fish in P3 have some miniscule quantity of these chemicals in their system. There is no evidence there is any adverse health effect on humans or animals in these concentrations, but 3M voluntarily changed their Scotchgard formulation a few years ago to do away with the PFOS and PFOA chemicals. You can probably google it to find more info if you’re interested.

OK, back to fishing now. Looking forward to hitting P2 again Saturday. Likely follow up with a trip to P4 on Sunday. Could be a good weekend for pitching shallow assuming the water level starts rising with the recent precipitation.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

My question is who’s gonna snowblow the ramp tomorrow afternoon after we get another 6″?……. OK I’ll do it. I’m actually thinking about going down there this morning and busting some ice. What the heck! I’m only 5 minutes away and I’ve got nothing better to do. Next December I’m gonna see how long I can keep Lilydale open……. What?! Everybody needs a hobby!

dd

hawgstatus
    Moundsview, MN

Anyone going to the duece this weekend? What do you all think? is it worth a drift? Or should I drag the Otter Sled out

Anyway, new to IDA and glad to be here.

Snap-a-Lot! are you scared….you in?? Congrats on achieving HawgStatus on Sunday. NicerEye!!

hs

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

I will be there either Saturday or Sunday. Am trying to pick the better weather of the 2 days.

I must have seen you guys on Saturday afternoon. I think I pulled into the confluence area at about 12:45. I run an Alumacraft T-Pro with an 80 hp Yammi black and grey color.

Maybe see you guys the weekend.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice fish and first post Hawg Status! Welcome to the site. What was the length on that beauty?

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Nice fish sir! I was there and marking all sorts of fish at 7:30 Saturday morning; but I couldn’t get bit. I’m glad they cooperated for you! Welcome to IDA!

dd

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.