Line type and test weight

• jags

I am curious what type (mono or “super” line) and Weight of line is prefered for 3 ways and vertical jigging on the mighty muddy. I was also wondering if the fish are turned off by any color. I am a sucker for Trilene XL in the 8# range, but am wondering if I am missing something by not using the low strech lines that are so popular. I know that everyone has there own opinion on this matter, but was wondering what some of the logic behind the choices are.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Trilene XL is good line. It is my preference for light mono needs. 8# test is heavier than I use for walleye fishing, I use 4# and 6# and get more strikes with the smaller line diameter.

I have gone through a transition in the last couple years. I still have rigs set up with mono, but I also use Power Pro for much of my walleye fishing, especially in the river. If you back the super line with a little mono so your spool fills properly, the PP cast a jig just as well. The sensitivity given by a no-stretch(super line) will by far surpass any mono. Anything that line bumps is transmitted directly to the rod without the cushion effect(stretch) of mono.. A super line will allow you to detect extremely subtle bites that mono will not transmit to the rod.

Other advantages of super lines is extremely small line diameter. The smaller line diameter, the less current drag on the line which will allow you to fish the same jig more effectively, or sometimes allow a lighter jig to be fished effectively.

Trolling with super lines has advantages also.. you can see the lure action on the rod far better, and you can detect debris hung up on the lure much easier. Super line should be used with a softer rod in trolling applications.

I have never had a problem with superlines in the river(stained water) due to line visibility. Regular mono lines still have their place, but I am using power pro most of the time now. I have tried different super lines and like power pro the best by far. Its much more limber once its broke in(breaks in quickly).

I was the biggest super line skeptic there was a few years back. I can make mono work for everything.. but the super lin just works better for many things. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.

honda75
    Iowa

i use 6lb stren for everything on my spinning rod and reels. On my baitcaster i use 12lb stren.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

I use spderwire stealth for my main line while 3-waying. I use 10lb XT for the leaders on my 3-way rigs.

I use mono for almost all my jig applications. Solar sensation has been good for me in the 8lb. The bright color of the line has not affected my catch rates V.S a clearer line. I have messed around with the flurocarbons and have not seen a instance where it worked better than the solar line.

I use hard lines for casting cranks and fishin sticky areas.

jags

Thanks for the info guys. At least I know I am playing the same game.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Jags,
    I use 8# mono for my jigging needs on the river. If you have a very quick reflex on the hook set, super lines, I think it is possible to set the hook before the fish has the whole bait in it’s mouth. I think the mono gives just a little bit more time. I have used superline in one rod and mono in the other, and I feel strongly than I hook more fish with the mono rod.
    good luck.
    Jack..

jimmyofish

Take a look at the new fire line,it has a little line memory as it will not tangle on the rods but it is suttle yet tuffer than all the other super lines on the market.A good rod will only compilment all lines.The rod tells you whats happening on the other end.Pick up a g-loomis 720 imx jigging rod and it will tell you whats going on the other end.BEST LITE JIGGING ROD ON THE MARKET.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.