Fishing Reports Good or Bad

• carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Is it my imagination or do most members only report good fishing days on the water? It would be great to hear either way. Many of us have to drive some distance to fish and would appreciate hearing if the bite is good or if it sucks. My last two trips were of the latter variety. Last Sunday we fished pool 10 in the wind from 8:00AM to 2:00PM and only caught about 15 dinks. We saw one fish caught by another boat that might have been a keeper. Yesterday I fished pool 11 from 2:00 to about 5:00 and caught one keeper sauger and a few dinks. Didn’t see anyone else catch a keeper. I fished plastic both days vertical and dragged. The wind really made it difficult both days. Has anyone else fished these pools in the last few days and had the same or better luck?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

For some people 15 dinks or a keeper might be a great day! For me, any day out on the water without breaking something is a good day!

-J.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

A BAD DAY ON THE RIVER IS STILL BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK

Jim K
    Mpls, Mn

“For me, any day out on the water without breaking something is a good day!”

Boy, isn’t that the truth!

Art

Never had a bad day fishing but I’ve had some real bad days catching. Good luck.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Art – thats exaclty what Gramps taught me about fishing. There’s catching and there’s fishing….. Never measure them the same or you might as well lay your rods down and pick up a golf club because more days then naught you’ll end up just as frustrated as most hackers….. Some of my best fishing memories included very few bites!

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

Ive been to guttenberg once and Red wing once. Both trips I never got a bite. I cant imagine vertical jigging bait you cant get a bite, but we never saw anyone else catch anything either. So yes, to some 15 dinks is not terrible. I would settle for 1 on my next trip.

jeff-patrick
    Fort Atkinson, WI

15 dinks in 5 hours is a awesome day for me

Quote:

Is it my imagination or do most members only report good fishing days on the water? It would be great to hear either way. Last Sunday we fished pool 10 in the wind from 8:00AM to 2:00PM and only caught about 15 dinks.

honda75
    Iowa

I agree that is why i post when i do post wether we had a good day or bad day. It helps either way in my own opinion.

jimmyofish

You may need some tips on how to fish thru out the winter,most of the time the bite will be going if you know how to fish,I would recommend a day in a boat with a guide to show you how.Thank You JIMMY O

Art

Nick, great attitude. DId you have fun? That’s all thats count’s.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

All of these reports and reporters are “Interactive”. Feel free to contact the staff members either on the Forum or PM’s.
    I try to include in my reports wheter it is slow or gangbusters in my opinion. You can always ask.
    On another note, I have been on water that has been declared dead as a door nail, and cleaned up on fish! I have been called a liar because some other guy was just there and did poorly. I would take it as advice, and fish a body of water because you want to. Or hire a guide!

Art

Chris, don’t take this wrong. I made a reply and I don’t think I made it right. I started dragging ringworms upstream fromyour articles, and it works. I just enjoy the sport and love the time I’M ON the water. 30 years ago I used to think if I did’nt catch the biggest fish or get the biggest deer I had a bad year. I thank all you guys for your reports,(made me a better fisherman) I guess I just truely enjoy it more now than I ever did.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Thanks for all the replies so far. I agree that the outdoor experience is worth a lot by itself without harvesting a ton of fish and game every trip. I’d also add that the companionship of good friends can make a trip. The only point I was trying to make with my original post was that we don’t seem to get any fishing reports other than when someone has a nice catch of keepers. There seems to be a lot of people fishing but not many reports coming through. I would appreciate seeing reports from anyone that has been out to hear how they did and what they observed. The lead in to this forum says “Updates, hot tips & fishing reports”, keep those reports coming good or bad.

jimmyofish

You are so right about fishing a body of water that you want to fish,and very good advice about hiring a guide. As you know it takes years to find all the little suttle things it takes to catch fish all the time. A guide is a great short cut. Your guide to better fishing JIMMY O

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

The system is set up to allow Pro and Field Staff to post updates on “Hot Bites” and “Tips”. It would be (In my opinion) counter productive to psot a report where “The bite sucked!” Who wants to read it, or go there fishing? Our reports are to show what is going on in or on a lake or river so that at least part of the leg work is done for you. We chose Pro Staff and Field Staff due to their knowlege and experience on certain bodies of water. So it would be my hope that they MAKE a good day on the water if at all possible, and tell you all about how they did it. If there are any specifics you would like to see addressed, please PM me, or post them up here.
    Now get out there and wet a line! Darn it!

martin_vrieze
    Eagan

I just moved back to the Midwest 18 months ago after spending 10+ years in Southern CA. After chase the legendary giant Bass on Lake Casitas (Lake Ca-skunk-us), you mark a good catching day once every 10 trips to the lake.

You guys don’t understand how good it truly is here.

If a hack like me can go out on Pool 4 or Pool 2 armed only with the knowledge picked up on this forum and CONSISTENTLY catch fish through the months of December and January, then any of you should too.

Chris is right-on…Get out there now…The fish are biting well!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.