Vermilion river?

• drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Just for the heck of it this morning I decided to go see what things looked like at the Vermilion river landing (I think it is right by the intersection of 54 and 68 south of hastings about 10 miles)

The river was open there and fishable from the side opposite the public landing. I tossed some different color ringworms and super-doos for about an hour with no success.
    However, I did notice a lot of dead shad along the shore right away. And after a bit I noticed fish rising to the surface all over the stretch upstream from the bridge. And finally I saw some massive schools of shad cruising along now and then.

I’m wondering how folks would approach fishing this spot? I would think that there has got to be some walleyes or crappies or northerns or all of the above taking advantage of all that shad to eat. Curious to hear what folks think?
    Thanks!

dd

chappy
    Hastings, MN

If you would have gone down there about Christmas time,you would have seen people I ce fishing out there. Not straight out from the landing ,but upstream a ways. Crappie. Walleye and Northern fishing was going on. If you could have gotten out to the old bridge supports just down from the landing, I know there’s eye’s in there in the winter time. Generally,that whole area is covered with ice.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Hey Chappy!
    Something I thought of after I posted is that the water is very clear. So I’m thinking it would be an early late thing. Also wondering if the fish might be so stuffed with shad that they might not be all that aggressive?

What the hey! It’s open water shore-fishing in January!

dd

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i think you guys are talking about two differet places, the intersection of 54 and 68 is the etter bridge (this is indland waters) i believe chappy is talking about dueschanes (this is boundery waters down to the train tressal, not vissable from landing,
    anyway was down at dueschanes sunday afternoon in boat, went down stream to blackbird (a little thin ice in spots not a problem ) last hour of day light was best time, BOATED 8-10 fish mostly small, only 2 keepers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

and in a location that your wife would never think to look
    cheers

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I got a radio chip in my ear. She always knows where I am!

dd

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Joel, Slack is right, that would be in the bustling town of Etter. The shad in the Vermillion, and the pools of the river die this time of year. These are gizzard shad. They make great catfish bait for channels if you vacuum seal them before they get “Fuzzy” from decay. This is a good spot for Pike and walleye at certain times of the year. As was mentioned, it is “Inland Waters” and is bound to laws for such water. It is a fantastic area for shore fishing cats in the summer. I have caught both flats and channels there.
    Tuck

jeffry

Any update on the ice conditions? if the ice is safe I might try fishin it this weekend

gary_wellman
    South Metro

If I were a betting man……….I would think that right now, you could navigate a jon boat in any part of the Vermillion………I don’t think ice fishing is as much of an option, let alone just having ice.

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Right before this last cold snap it was wide open. It might have fishable ice again now. But I would be extremely
    cautious. Personally I want want the 30 and 40 degree temps back again. Ice fishing is what I do when everything is frozen.

dd

jeffry

did anyone try the vermilion this weekend?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I went down and checked at DuChenes Thur. Morning last week and again on Friday afternoon and the ice is Maybe an 1″ think where getting on,and I checked all the way up and it was all an 1″ thick. Looked to be thicker out a little way’s but can’t get to it.Not going to get a boat in there at the moment………..There are still some Gizzard shad in the springs. You could see them in there.I’ll check it again tomorrow/Today.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.