HAIR JIGS

• pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

WOULD LIKE INFO ON HAIR/BUCKTAIL JIGS . NEVER USED THEM BEFOR NEED HELP ON SIZE , COLOR TO GET ME STARTED .I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT OLD POST TRYING TO GET MY SELF STARTED NEXT TIME I GET DN. ALWAYS LIKE TO A NEW WAY TO GET THEM EYES.THANKS PFLUGGY.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

To start, assuming you didn’t already see this post, see this post…

http://www.fishtheriver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=pool4&Number=24642&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=all

Lots of ideas here about color combos, weights, etc.

I usually stick to head weights from 1/8th – 3/8th. with plenty tied on 3/16th ounce heads. Black heads, purple heads, pearl white (not plain white, oh no!) some in lime green, fucsia (seriously), and a handful in two-tone red over black would basically round out some of my favorite HEAD colors. As for the hair, geez, sky’s the limit there but I prefer the darker colors over the crazy bright stuff like flourescent chart. Black, kelly green, brown-orange, blue w/ white belly, purple, lilac (again with the funky colors but if I call it light purple the guy that ties my jigs has a fit…lol) and a few red/white/blue are a good mix of the ones I use the most.

If you’re down to Everts this weekend, holler at me and I’ll show you an assortment of the best tied hair jigs you’ll ever see in your life. Bucktail Wayne is tying me up $300 worth and will have them for me on Friday… woohoo! I’ll be down to the resort filling in for Steve, sadly his grandmother passed away, so I’ll be around all weekend looking to do something since I can’t go fishing.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

James, remind me to hide my “Bucktail Wayne” hair jigs before I leave for the weekend!!! They’ll probably “disappear” into thin air if I don’t!LOL.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well there goes my plan to auction them off to the highest bidder!!

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

What style jig head does everyone prefer, round head, teardrop or is there another style that you prefer? I still use mostly the round head jig.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

I prefer round, and i usually like to go with brown, or a light blue. I tie them myself and i like to add a little bit more hair than normal so they have that slow drop and you feel the the big ole wam. Actually, if you are looking at your line in like slow motion you can see it get pulled out a little bit when the fish strikes and that is when you lay into them.

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I like to tie my own jigs also, but I tie mine more sparse, so it’s a thin line of hair when it’s in the water. I’ve been using round head jigs without a tying collar to tie my hair jigs to keep the hair slender. It’s just the way I do it.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Snakeyes

That’s they way I like them too. Tied too bulky or long and I just don’t do well on them. I think too much hair kills the fine action of the hair somehow and getting that look is much easier when tied to jigs with no collar…. right on the hook.

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

I like to tie some of my jigs with shorter hair (2 1/2- 2 3/4 inch) and some with the full length hair, maybe up to 4 inchs long, depends on the tail itself. It always seems I find a place for both tails.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.