Drop shot rig for Walleye????

• robby
    Quad Cities

I am going to northern Minnesota in a month with my wife’s father and uncles. They claim that you cannot catch walleyes during the day because of the clear water and the walleyes going deep. I just cannot believe that it is impossible to catch them during the day. They mostly troll or throw minnow baits. I am just guessing that a vertical presentation in deeper water might be the trick. Thinking that vertically jigging a grub or meat, or perhaps a drop shot rig might work. Any of you walleye guys tried this?

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

I’ve used this on pool 4. Its dirty water but at times I’ve had good luck because I can stay virtical and make the bait twitch slightly of a lot depending on what the fish want. I use mostly plastics mostly because the bigger fish seem to hit them more and also when it’s cold out holding a minnow just gets to cold. I would give drop shoting a try.

kingcabelas
    Hudson, WI

I take a few fishing trips up to Lake Winnie in northern Minnesota every spring and summer and have had good luck using a Lindy rig with either a leech or minnow. Just a suggestion to maybe try…good luck.

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

What lake exaclty? I fish big winnie quite a bit and do great during the day! I tend to fish the drop offs on the bars or the flats; which ever are holding fish. Shiners early in the year and JUMBO leaches later on…

robby
    Quad Cities

Mrjigger, I will be on Snowbank Lake which is northeast of Ely. We are also going to fish Big Lake for one day.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.