Bass guy going Walleye fishing tomorrowl

• robby
    Quad Cities

Tony Apisa called and told me he had an empty seat tomorrow. I am there. I am a Bass fisherman and have use for Walleye, I catch them incidentally from time to time and eat them. I do not keep spawning females of any species. Anyways, I am meeting Tony tomorrow morning to go Walleye fishing, I will post a report, but do NOT expect a convert.–Robby

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

You dont have to be a convert(?)I fish Bass all summer and absolutely love it. But I also love fighting big April and November Walleyes on light tackle, and eating some…(can’t fish Bass in most of the rest of the upper midwest until June).
    Nothing wrong with big Pike and Musky on top water lures either.
    How about big Gills and Crappie on a fly rod or UL tackle?

Go out and enjoy yourself!

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Tom, Have you ever tried fishing bass with a fly rod and reel? I did in La some years back. Talk about fun. Man those babies will turn you every which way but loose using a rig like that. Try it some time if you haven’t.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Yes…I just finished two years as the chairman of the Northwoods chapter of the national Fly Fishing Federation. I don’t get the time that I’d like to do it more. I am packing a flyrod this spring when those big White Bass schools show. I think they’ll hammer a flashy streamer.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey tom, i hope you get into some of those big brusier stripers, thier a blast and hit hard.

robby
    Quad Cities

WOW, I posted something and it became a fly fishing forum. Next a I might post about nuclear physics and I will hear about Disney World. Just kidding fellas. I guess that you will have to meet me to know my warped sense of humor. Tony and Tweeked33 got some of that today. The three of us went after walleyes today, and I had a great time. The eyes were, should we say a bit tight lipped, but we caught more than anybody we saw or talked to. No big fish, a few keeper size. This was my first time fishing exclusively for eyes, much different than bass. I had a great day enjoying a pretty day and good company. We had more than a few laughs. We caught some fish and two or three keepers, including one that I lost next to the boat. I guess that you cannot horse those eyes in, like you can a bass whose eyes you have just crossed with a hook-set. Anyways, Tony is a professional. It was apparant that he was not satisfied with todays fishing. He was however, knowledable, efficient, fun, and a responsible boat Captain. I learned more than I can tell you all. If you ever get a chance to fish with him, jump at it. Thanks again Tony!!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi Robby,

way to jump in there, my fav fish during the year is Largemouth, but winter and early Spring, ya sure can’t beat a nice walleye or big Sauger pounding on the end of your line. and you get the boat out sooner. for a bass guy, you should have brought your jig and pig rod and crossed those eye’s eyes, THAT would have woken ’em up.

you’ll also find that posts and post discussions will go way in in directions sometimes that you have no idea where it came from or where it’s going. but it’s all fun.

check back often.

Jack..

tweaked331
    moline IL pool 16

By shear dumb luck I ended up going with on this outing. As I was attempting to launch my boat my parking brake failed and my manual tranny would not hold me on the ramp’s incline. So I pulled off the ramp and started to check out the damage to the brakes. My fishing partner for the day bailed out with no phone call or anything. Had he been along I would have been able to get the rig in the water. So as I’m muttering a few choice words about it all, I hear someone ask if I was having some problems. The voice was from Tony, who was waiting for Robby at the ramp, after learning of my trouble offered to take me along. Who knew that with such a crappy start the day would be one of the best on the river in a long time. I totally enjoyed the company and would fish with either of them again, I’ll even buy the beer!!!!! I just wanna say thanks again to Tony and Robby for salvaging my day, they are without a doubt a couple of class acts!!!!

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Your more than welcome Jon. You two guys sure did make me laugh. Let’s get together soon and do it again. I’ll be looking for ya’>

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.