Fish Recipes

• chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I was just hoping to get some input on how different people cook the fish they catch. My favorite way so far is:

Coupla nice walleye fillets
    1 tbs butter
    sprinkle of salt, pepper, and paprika
    bit of diced onion
    lemon or balsamic vinegar

Heat the oven to 325 on the broil setting. Put the butter in a baking pan and let it melt in the oven. Spread the butter on the bottom, add the fillets, and flip so that they are covered. Sprinkle on the salt, pepper, and paprika. Add the onions. Bake the fish for about 12 minutes, or untill it’s just barely done. Add the lemon juice or vinegar and enjoy.

shew
    East Bethel, Minnesota

I like to take the fish dip it in egg and then crush up your favorite chips and roll the egg covered fish in that and fry in oil. You will not have any crisper fish.

buckmaster

“FRY MAGIC” along with a six box of your favorite beverage.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

My favorite is Shore Lunch adding some Lawry’s. And thank God for 350deg. peanut oil
    This recipe also calls for 6 of your favorite beverages, as all my recipes will

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

“FRY MAGIC” along with a six box of your favorite beverage.

My favorite also

SPARKYMARK
    BROOKLYN PARK, MINNESOTA

I like to make Blackened walleye Quisiadias, these are awsome as a appetizer.. use a heavy black fry pan and add oil about 1 tbls. 2 filets of walleye seasoned with cajun seasoning, heat oil really hot med/high heat and add filets and cook till dark color not quite Black then flip and do the same on the other side, set aside and in a seperate pan take flour tortillas 10″ work good, shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, cilentro, blck olives, jalepenos. heat pan med heat spray with no stick spray add 1 flour tortilla and add cheese,vegies and some crumbled blackened walleye, when the cheese starts to melt fold the tortilla in half heat slightly more pull off and cut into wedges. great with guacamoli and salsa. can also be done on the grill.

horsch
    Hastings, MN

I’ve tried shore lunch and other’s. But the best to me is “McCormichs” beer batter!! Too me its really good, just add one can of beer to batter and there you go!! Give it a try.

shaneedwards
    MN USA

TAKE ONE FILLET 1TSP OLIVE OIL DICE GARLIC INTO TINY PIECES ABOUT 4 CLOVES PRESS FISH ONTO GARLIC FLIP DO SAME OTHER SIDE, HEAT PAN HOT, ADD OIL ADD FISH COOK TILL WHITE UP PART WAY FLIP KILL HEAT AND SERVE ON TOP OF STEAMED STRING GREEN BEANS YUM YUM YUM ITS

YOUR COMPETTION GOT STRONGER TODAY, DID YOU?

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Thanks for the input. I tried the fry magic last night and was really impressed, ususally I don’t like fish pan fried but it went along so well with some cold homebrews
    The blackened walleye sounds good too, but I need to restock the freezer at the FYB tourney.

I got another one from this summer, if anyone’s interested.

Coupla catfish fillets
    hogie buns
    lettuce
    tomato
    onion
    butter
    tartar sauce
    butter

Fire up the Webber, when the coals are a nice medium hot clean the grate and brush it with a little butter so the fish doesn’t stick. Brush the fillets with some melted butter and grill. I also like to grill the onions. Cut thick slices, push a couple of toothpicks into em to keep them together, and brush with butter. In 5-7 minutes the bottom of the fillet will be nice and crispy. Heres the tough part, flip the fillet. I use two spatula’s and have not lost one yet. The crispyness keeps em together too. Cook for another 2-3 min. Serve on the hoogies in regular fish sam’ich style.
    PS: I’ve tried this with walleye-Yuck. The smoke flavor does not jive well with the walleye. I have also done this with blue marlin and salmon, but the catfish is by far the best.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Here is a recipe I have been working on…… It’s based on the Betty Crocker instant potato mix. Use either the plain, or spiced mixed. I like the Garlic. Mix one bag (2 bags in a box) with about 15 crushed saltine crackers. Mix 3 eggs and a half bottle of good dark beer like Summit or Lienes bach. Wash the filets through the beer/egg mix and roll in cracker mix. Pan fry or deep fry. Very good crisp coating.

Another seasonal recipe I like. In the spring with the roadside veggie stands open. Buy a variety of whatever they have fresh. Spring onion, tomato, beans, cucumber, whatever…. Cut into small pieces and stir fry with fish cut into bite size chunks. Serve over steamed rice.

-J.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I usually deep fat fry most of my walleye that I shake a dry coating onto. The coating is a secret family recipe.

I do have a unique way of preparing bluegill fillets. I get a pan of water boiling and drop my fillets in for 3 minutes. When the 3 minutes is up I immediately take the fillets out and put them into a bowl of ice water for another 3 minutes. Then I serve them with cocktail sauce just like you would cocktail shrimp. You may have to cut the boiling time down if your fillets fall apart.

Eyehunter

wahly
    Cedar Rapids, Ia

MMMMM walleye, try this reciepe
    for frying—-frying magic is da best
    for baking—-dump some baking miracle in a bag, mix in 1/3 cup parmessan cheese and a tbsp. of orange peel,shake well, dump fish in bag and shake well to coat,bake in a glass dish sprayed with oil and cook at 350 for 20 min. or so,
    ummmmm—-dalicious

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.