St Croix Legend Tournament Walleye rods?

• KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

I’m looking to buy a real good rod for vertical jigging. I see St. Croix has a new series of walleye rods and they have a 6’3″ MXF rod for vertical jigging Spec out at 1/8 – 1/2 oz, 6-10 lb test.. They ain’t cheap, so I would appreciate any feedback anyone can give me on this rod.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I have not got to try one yet.It is a step up from the avid but not as good as the legend. I do like the nice blue color. I will get one or two this year. Priced around 199 they are not cheap but some things are worth it.
    Ron

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Last year I bought the 6’3″ MXF specifically for vertical jigging in the river. It was one of the best purchases I have made. This rod has a very soft tip which takes a bit getting use to but once you use it a couple of times you will never want to use anything else for the vertical jig bite on the river.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Right on Brett. I would also consider the standard Avid 6’3″ Xfast model($50 less)an option for vertical jigging, it is ideal for this purpose and been my favorite for years….BUT…..

The new Tournament series is upgraded from SClll to SClV carbon…also has the new ART technology, so it will be more sensitive and responsive. Thats quite an upgrade for $50. ART reinforces the blank at critical stress points while maintaining smooth power transition.

Either way you’ll really enjoy those rods!

I caught this Big Girl on the 6’8″ Xfast using an 1/8oz jig/ringworm combo with 6# mono last fall. I had a long cast out and felt the slightest tap. The xfast delivered a solid hookset.

Just click on the link below to go to the website…theres a lot of good info there!

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Nice walleye!

I’ve got that same Avid 6-8XF and a 6-6M. Great rods.

I compared the 6-3 Legend Tournament with the 6-3 XF Avid the other day in the shop. What I found was: the Avid 6-3XF “feels” lighter and more nimble, BUT when I put the tips on the carpeted floor and compared the relative stiffness, the Legend Toournament was much stiffer. Much stiffer! The Avid has one more guide which kind of surprised me, but the LT uses the upgraded Alconite guides.

So, I’m thinking that the LT might be be indeed a bit more specialized for vertical jigging and perhaps plastic “worming.” The Avid 6-3XF may be a better suited to lighter jigs, etc.

I don’t know…That LT is tempting.

brett
    Brooklyn Park, MN

You guys are making me think I might need to add a few more rods to my inventory! Based on your input, I am definitely going to be checking out the new tournament series rods. I plan to be on the river Sunday to give both the pitching and vertical bites a try.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

Of course an alternative would be to have someone build you a custom rod on the same blank with better guides, and a lighter handle with a tennessee grip, for less. That way you can get exactly what you want and the rod will fish better than any of the factory rods in the same model out there. The custom I built on the 5S63MXF (Legend Elite) blank has done everything I have asked of it… and more. Outstanding for verticle jigging – does a great job pitching jigs or light crankbaits. These blanks in this action are simply outstanding – the same with the 3S63MXF – (Avid) have built several of those and they are outstanding as well. I’m betting the new 4S63MXF (Tournament bass & walleye) will be the same. St. Croix just keeps putting out winners. Chuckles

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

Chuckles
    What is the Tennessee grip I dont find any thing called that in the Cabelas rod building catalog??

jimmyofish

Try a g-loomis 720 imx and you will be very well satisfied,best vertical jigging rod on the market, barr none.I guided for over 30 years, and I haven’t found a better rod to fish with,and I would recommend it for jigging year round.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I’ve got the avid 6’3″. It’s by far my most favorite rod. I haven’t fished with the new series, but I’m working on a deal to get my little paws on one! I want one in th 6’8″ model. Hopefully my buddy will come through for me!!

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

D man check out net craft they have the Tennessee handles in there. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com The Tennesse handle has a hollow graphite body that is very sensitive. Make sure the rod blank runs through the legth of the handle for maximum sensitivity. Hope this helps.

DMan
    Long Lake IL.

SA
    Thanks for the NetCraft site!

jld
    Holmen

I have never fished with either but had decided to buy a St. Croix. I looked at both the Legend and the Avid and I really liked how the Avid felt. I will find out in a week how it works. Either way I don’t think a person can go wrong.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

The tennessee handles can be cork, graphite or even split with a shorter grip and basically just a little fighting butt at the back – very light and can be made combo of cork and graphite.

Jimmyo – no disrespect intended since you are a legend on the river – but loomis has really let quality control slip since shimano bought the company from Gary Loomis – and the other companies are catching up while loomis seems complacent to stay where they are. I have built and even own a variety of loomis’s – have to tell you that depending on the blank model – St. Croix may have them passed up at this point imho… your results may vary – but that 6’3 MXF SC5 (legend in the factory version) rocks for everything I have tried it for. Chuckles

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I’ve been eyeing them up also. They are one good looking rod. I would be very interested in hearing feedback.

jimmyofish

Do you do any hard water fishing?? Why do you think every body likes spring bobbers or coiled wire for the lite bite.??G loomis 720 imx is the same way with it;s soft tip, fish don;t feel you ,but you can see them pulling or holding the tip down and you just caught a fish that you did not feel bite.We all know howw soft a fish can feel in deeper water.And when you have a good rod on the market, why would a company change.??My nod is all g-loomis,remmber they set the pace ,and they don,t have to look back. THANK YOU

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Well, I bought one. I got the 6′-3″ model. No, I do not “need” a rod this nice, but life is short, and ANYTHING that might give me an edge over my brother-in-law is worth the cost!

It’s a beautiful rod.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Orv, it’s never a question of “need” now is it?
    I think there is a 6’8″ bass model in my near future…

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Hey Steve, as a fellow GET High grad (Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau for those of you who just labeled us) I think you deserve one! Nothing but the best for ex-Redmen!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have fished both, the legend tournament and legend elite, one is blue and one is brown. The coating that they chose to put on these rods decreases sensitivity and adds weight. I believe they did this to reinforce the rod and to decrease warranty issues. In my opinion they don’t shake a stick at the SJR 782 GLX or IMX by G-Loomis

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Nothing like the internet to keep ya humble.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Orv,

I guess you have your Loomis guys and you have your St. Croix guys. I bought one Loomis IMX last year and didn’t care for it. The tip broke and I’m so indifferent to the rod I haven’t even had it fixed. I’ve heard that since Shimano bought them they are an “average” rod at best.

Your new rod sounds great. Now all I have to do is talk the “minister of finance” (read wife) into it!

Go Redmen!

superdave
    NE IA

I’m a croix guy to. I think the coating thing is boguss.I don’t see how a flexible coating over the graphite could add any strength to cover warranty issues. I got one custom made with light guides and a tennessee handle, and it comes in at a balmy 2.9 ounces. Like Chuckles said, G.Loomis has really lost a lot when they combined with Shimano, I heard there warranty program went to crap to. Ah well, I have st croix’s, but if a loomis was given to me I wouldnt throw it away either.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I believe the coating increases durability. ie harder to break, therefor decreasing warranty issues. I gaurantee the old green legend is twice the rod of the new one. And in my opinion which it is just an opinion, that is because it didn’t have the coating. And I know it weighed less..

KwikStik
    Trempealeau, WI

Lizardwizard, according to the St. Croix specifications posted on their web site, the Legend Tournament I bought weighs 3.20 oz and the Legend Elite your talking about weighs 3.70 oz.

Not that it really matters.

Heck, I caught more walleyes back in the 70’s with a solid glass rod that must have weighed a pound than any of the new stuff. I just think these blue Legend Tournament rods match my fishing hat better than any other rods I’ve looked at.

Oh, one more thing!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Be nice now guys. It is, afterall, only an opinion about a fishing pole.

I’ve not tried the new rods from Croix but will be ordered some new rods for 2005 very soon and the tourney rods will find their way into my boat to see how they compare. Once I have some considerable time using one under my belt I’ll be sure to share my findings here.

They do look awfully nice from the specs I’ve seen.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.