Pool 4 update

• Don Hanson

Just a quick update on the action on pool 4. There is a pretty good plastic bite going on for eater size and biiger sauger. Ringworms in chartreusse was the best producer today. Our best depths ranged from 21 to 24 foot of water. Until late afternoon all the fish were eater size or bigger coming out of these depths. We manged about a 1/2 dozen leagal eyes in the 24ft depths. The eys came on finesse rigs or Doo’s. Sorry, no pictures today.

frostbite
    South Metro

Don,
    I was down there from 8 am- 2pm. I didn’t see anyone fishing shallow for any lenght of time, near the dam.
    Were you slowly crusing down stream past Everts at about 2?
    I want to fish shallower, but I am mostly a live bait person. I’m going to fish more this week but I don’t need fish. Most of the fish we caught were past 40′ can’t throw any back. Are there any “common” spots you can tell me? I don’t expect any info on honey holes. I admit my fishing there has always been at the dam. I would like to try different areas and plastics. We did have success on plastic in the morning up at the dam. So I have some confidence fishing with them. Any help is appreciated. You can PM if you like. I will talk with Steve as well, he is very helpful. It is nice to get out in the boat and this week the weather is going to be great.

Dan

Don Hanson

Dan,
    The fish we were catching were concentrated in a small area. Our drifts were very short, only a few hundred yards.That’s why it looked like we were not fishing shallow for a very long time. Most of the eyes we caught were on finesse rigs. I can give you some more information on that if you would like. Since you are gaining confidence in plastic I would suggest using them in the 20 to 24ft depths on you next outings. Along with the plastic try deadsticking livebait for a few bonus fish. Work the areas that are near deeper water. Good luck, Don.

Crankbait

Don,
    If you happen to check back I’m a little curious myself as to what tactic your using for a finesse rig. Can always use another technique to try.

It’s nice to see this forum alive again! I’ll likely be out later this week
    Thanks,
    Chris

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Was down fishing from 8:30-2:30 yesterday. I have never seen the water so clear. You could actually see the fish 5-6 feet down. This was my first time fishing red wing in January. I have fished there in December and February quite a bit, but not January. Guy from work and I caught a 19 and 17″ sauger for the big fish of the day. The 19 was caught on a jig/minnow. Plastics worked well in the morning but after 11 am we decided to switch to minnows. Plastics appeared to start picking up again in the early afternoon for others. Dragging the ringworms upstream slowy my be a technique I might have to try sometime. It appears to work well.

Don Hanson

Chris,
    There are a few key factors I look for when determining to use a “finesse” rig. They are clear water, pressured fish, and light biters. The rig is common on lakes but works equally well on rivers. A rigging or jiiging rod and reel combo works well for the application. What I do is spool the reel with a small diameter copolymer line, I like using Super Silver thread 6lb. test. Attached to the line I place a Northland quick change weight snap and a bobber stop, then tie on a small swivel.The boober stop will keep the weight snap from sliding over the swivel. I will then tie on a lenghth of silver thread for a leader. I usually go with 6ft. length for river fishing. For hooks I will either use Daiichi wide gap bait hooks in a size #8 or an aberdeen style #10. The size of hook is determined by how well the bait can move once hooked. With bigger fats the #8 will work but with smaller fats or if it looks the the minnow is not active enough, switch to the #10.
    For weight I prefer the slender profile of the Northland Rock Runners, attached to the quick change snaps. Use a weight that will keep contact with the bottom with the line at about a 30 degree angle.
    The combination of small diameter line and light hook will give your bait the most natural presentation. Good luck and let me know how it works for you. Don

Crankbait

Hey Don thanks for the info!
    Like you said, a common rig on lakes but I seldom hear much talk from river anglers on using slip sinker/lindy rigs. Sounds like they can be the ticket in certain situations.
    Thanks again!
    Chris

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.