Guttenburg?

• fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Has anyone been to Guttenburg in the past couple of days? I would love to go up there this coming weekend but I am not sure if I can get my boat in. The DNR has a new ramp right up at the dam and it was accessible right up until we had that last bout of real cold weather. With the warmer temps the past few days the ramp may have opened up again. I would love to get out for a day to shake off the no boat winter blues. I may be attending the ice fishing get together at PDC this weekend if I can’t get on the open water at Guttenburg. I enjoy ice fishing but given the chance to open water fish I’ll go for the open water every time. It would be a great way to end the month of January.

Eyehunter

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Eyehunter, any luck with the dam report? Just wondering if it is open or not. Please let me know, thanks. Going through withdrawls!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, jeweler

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Jeweler,

I have not heard about Guttenburg. I thought that I might just go up to PDC tomorrow and take part in the IDA ice fishing fiasco. On the way up (or down) from Dubuque I can check out the ramp for myself. If it is open I will be there on Sunday. If not I may drive up to Lynxville and fish through the ice. Can’t do that at Dubuque this year.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I stopped at the Guttenburg ramp on Saturday and it is iced in. There were 2 or 3 lightweight boats out on the water that people had pushed out over the ice. PRAY FOR WARMER WEATHER SOON!

Eyehunter

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Eyehunter,
    That is a bummer. If or when you find out would you please let me know either on here or a pm. I am bitin’ at the bit to get out on the water. Thanks!

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Jeweler,

With the warmer temps this week the ice should recede some. I plan on calling up to Guttenburg on Friday to see if the ramp has opened up. It may not be totally open this coming weekend but it shouldn’t take much work to get it open after this week’s thaw. I know there have been people pushing boats out to get to the open water. My boat is not one that you can push. There wasn’t that much ice there last weekend beyond the end of the wall. It is the ice that builds up between the ramp and the end of the wall that is blocking things.

Eyehunter

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Jewler-Eyehunter,
    Just talked to a buddy of mine that fished there this weekend. But like Eye said, had to slide the flatbottom acrossed the ice. Said he caught some, nothing big, but managed to get a limit in 3 or 4 hours. Just thought I’d let you know in case you were up for that. Might hit up lynxville this weekend. later DK

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Yeah any info helps. Is there a phone number that I can call to find out if the launch is open without having to push the boat out across the ice? Thanks guys and be safe!

herb
    6ft under

Murry’s at the south end of Guttenburg 563-252-1838
    I hope that’s right.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Thanks Herb. Hopefully it will be open enough to dock a boat in this weekend. Can not wait.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Did not make it out this weekend. Tried but had too many other things to get done. Anyway, just wondering if you can dock in or not yet. Also, anyone know when you can legally fish by Dubuque, Belle vue and so forth?

bigjigger2002
    Pearlcity , Illinois

Jeweler, you can fish the dams starting on March 16th,at Dubuque,Bellvue and Clinton.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

The ramp was not open at Guttenburg on Saturday. Talked to Murray’s and to the Lockmaster and they both said it was still iced in. I was told that 4 boats had pushed out to the open water. I guess several boats showed up but were unable to put in. Hopefully the rising water will help to clear out the ice. I’m keeping my fingers crossed to be able to get in somewhere this coming weekend. It won’t be long now.

Eyehunter

duckilr
    Mississippi River

Myself and two other buddies were out on saturday. Bite was pretty slow to be honest. Pushed the boats about 75-100 yards acrossed the ice, and piked thru the big chunks another 75 yards. Fished ringies, k-grubs, hair jigs. We were throwing everything at them. Seemed to get all my bites on a controled drop. Hits were pretty soft. Had to have the minnow, fished without and couldn’t even get a bite. Managed 3 keeper sauger between the three of us. Was nice to be fianlly be fishing with a rod longer than 2′. There was still plenty of ice at the landing, around 10 inches so it might be awhile before it gets out. Never know though. Good luck DK.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Do you live in or near Guttenburg so that you can keep us informed on the ice conditions? I am hoping that the higher water might have opened up the river and the ramp so that I can get in this coming weekend. I know that Lynxville opened up and people are putting in at the boat ramp which is around a mile down from the dam. I guess if Guttenburg isn’t open then we can drive to Lynxville. If I don’t get on the open water this coming weekend I am going to die.

Eyehunter

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Eyehunter,
    I hear you, I am going to go insane! I guess it is open at lynxville but would like to fish a little closer to home you know. I can not wait for the dams down here to open up too. Great posts guys and lets keep them coming so we can all join in the fun!

silverstreak
    West Union, IA

is it possible to use dnr launch ramp

jimmyofish

Why don’t you drive a little further north and go fishing so you can give us a report,instead of whinning about all the damms being closed or iced in.Get in the game geeeezzz.

Plastx
    Cedar Rapids, IA

?Whining?? Maybe, just maybe, some of us have other obligations that preclude our making it to P4, yet have an opportunity to try something a little closer to home. We made it to Pool 4 last weekend, but this upcoming next weekend we will have to go to Guttenburg or stay home.

So, any help and information on whether we could launch a good sized boat from any ramp in Guttenburg this upcoming weekend would be greatly appreciated. I know the city used to operate a ramp right next to the lock, bur would appreciate any information coming up this week. If nothing else, we’ll call Beth at Murray’s. Thanks

silverstreak
    West Union, IA

guttenburg was still iced in at 7 am saturday morning, will take some time to thaw ice.

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Thanks for the posts guys. Yeah it is great to have people who are willing to help other people out. Thanks.

Craig Schmitt
    west union ia

2 boats in gutt today went in at dnr landin

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

Boats have been putting in at the DNR ramp all winter at Guttenburg. They have been pushing the boats out over the ice to the open water. We stopped at the ramp last Saturday on our way up to Lynxville. We probably could have spent a couple hours and cleared enough ice out to get the boat in. There was ice but it was broken in large chunks. An ice auger, a spud or two and some elbow grease would have done the job. Instead we drove another 30 minutes to Lynxville. Hopefully the rising water will have cleared the broken ice out by this coming weekend. If not then it is back to Lynxville for me.

Eyehunter

jeweler
    Wisconsin

Sounds good guys. PLan on cleaning out the boat this week. HOpefully have everything ready. Keep the posts coming. Its your hard work that makes it easier for others, thanks a lot!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.