Fall/Winter gear for river Walleyes

• elonm
    Minnesota

Now that the weather has started to cool off and everyone is talking about the plastics bite on the river, I got to wondering what type of gear most folks use for staying reasonably comfortable.

I really have a hard time fishing with gloves. I would be particularly interested in any feedback on gloves that have good fishability.

I have also heard good things about the Cabela’s guide gear.

So, please share your tips on how to stay warm while hauling in those winter ‘eyes on the river!

Thanks,

Elonm

james
    Ankeny Iowa

I also have a hard time with my hands but as far as the guideware I think it is the BEST. Jim

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

GUIDEWEAR CANNOT BE BEAT. IT IS THE BEST I HAVE FOUND, THANKS TO DUSTIN AND JAMES. I ALSO HAVE A HARD TIME WITH KEEPING MY HANDS WARM, DRY AND STILL HAVE FEEL. I HAVE GONE TO TIGHT FITTING LEATHER GLOVES. I HAVE SEVERAL PAIR, THAT WAY I ALWAYS HAVE A DRY PAIR. ONE OR TWO PAIR I HAVE INSIDE MY GUIDEWEAR TO KEEP WARM. WHEN ONE SET GETS COLD OR WET I SWITCH, PUTTING THE WET PAIR ASIDE TO DRY WHEN I GET HOME.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yup… Guide Wear is good. Insulated Guide Wear is even BETTER! Love the stuff.

For gloves I use those cheapie brown jersey gloves but only on the coldest days. I bring a half dozen pairs and just swap out the wet ones as needed with a dry pair. Works for me.

Jigmaster
    Superior,Wis

Insulated guide wear is the best ive found. Well worth the money.
    Jigmaster

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I picked up a pair of cabala’s thermastat long johns. Nice stuff so far for this freeze baby. The extra long cuffs cover your hands to your knuckles and the the zip up neck are great. Go for the heavyest weight.
    This stuff is a good start for staying warm in the winter. Loose those cheep long johns you used to where as a kid and look into some good stuff. You will wonder why you ever woar the old long johns.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Cabelas guidewear is tops! Best stuff I have ever had. As for gloves I haven’t found any real good ones but the brown jersey gloves that have that gripper bead stuff on them work ok and have several pairs along to swap out. Thanks, Bill

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

Normally I can fish down to 5 above with out using gloves, It also usually
    takes me 10 min to put all of my clothes on when winter walleye fishing.
    The secret to be able to feel the bite with your fingers is to dress in
    layers. A face mask will also really make a big difference. I just can’t
    fish with gloves on,,, Can’t feel the bite…
    Oh, a couple of beers while out on the ice also seems to help me fish
    glove-less.

big dad
    Rochester, Minnesota

Agree with Mr. Cadwell on the glove thing – have tried everything – now just carry a whole sack full of the brown jersey gloves – seems I can’t help getting wet hands – no trouble staying warm as long as I don’t run out of dry gloves. Guidewear over the top of layers can’t be beat – have fished in some pretty nasty weather and never get cold

RB50
    Iowa

James I have a question, I’ve had the guide wear for about four years. I think there great. Only trouble I have is I am getting a damping feeling in the upper top off my thighs. I think it came from wiping my hands on my upper legs. I’ve tried Revivex an I just can’t get them to repel water. Have any suggestions. Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you’re getting wet there’s a problem that can’t be fixed. The goretex liner may have been damaged in some way and there’s no spray that will fix that. You shouldn’t be getting wet through the thigh area by wiping your hands there. You shouldn’t be getting wet if you ran water from a hose across your legs for hours.

My number one suggestion to anyone having ANY trouble with guide wear is this… take it back. Cabelas stands by this product without questions. This is their top of the line nasty weather gear and they expect as much out of it as we do.

But… if you want to give one other option a try and you’re confident you don’t have any damage to the product have it dry cleaned and stipulate that they finish up with a water repelant at the end. The directions on this procedure are on the garment tags. I’ve had this done a couple times and it returns the condition to “as new” again.

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

Two things I would recommend. The small catalytic heaters and light weight rag wool gloves. The heater gives enough heat to keep your hands warm and doesn’t pose a fire hazard. The rag wool gloves are light enough that they won’t hinder your feel, and they come off very easy.

RB50
    Iowa

James I forgot to mention I am not getting wet through just a damp feeling. I think I will try and get them dry cleaned and sprayed with repelant. Thanks Rick

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Quote:

James I forgot to mention I am not getting wet through just a damp feeling. I think I will try and get them dry cleaned and sprayed with repelant. Thanks Rick

Rick,

I suggest a pair of gortex long handles or something that wicks the moisture away from your body. You may be sweating under all the gear which is causing the damp feeling?? Good luck!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What are “jersey” gloves???

Are these the cheap gloves that people use for bailing hay????

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

They are those cheap brown jobbies you can buy at Fleet Farm in the bulk packs. Just enough material to keep the wind from biting right through onto the skin but thin enough to not feel like you’re fishing wearing boxing gloves.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Ah-hah!

Thank you sir..

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I just got a set of the guide wear at Cabela’s. Have used the bibs in these cool mornings and the wind blowing. Now I don’t mind telling you I get cold pretty easy with no fat on my body anymore. And that stuff is great. Stayed comfy all day. But I can’t fish with gloves on no matter what. They usually end up laying in the bottom of the boat or in my pocket. My hands get like 2 chunks of ice. Have to stick them inside my pants or jacket to get them warm again.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Ditto on the Guide wear…Jeezz you think Cabela’s will cut us a deal on all this free promo…
    Also the Brown Jersey gloves..and a pair of the pocket warmers…I activate a pair every outing and they usually last all day… When the gloves get damp just grab a dry pair…I usally fish without the gloves but I pop them on for running and removing fish ect…
    PS do not forget your long johns…..
    I also usally carry a complete dry outfit in the truck during the cold weather..
    Good luck

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I agree with you, I just can’t fish with gloves on ither.
    I wear long Johns, then regular pants, then jogging pants over
    the regular pants. Up above I layer with thermal, then shirt,
    then about two to five sweaters with my bigger sweaters going
    on over the smaller sweaters, then my big bulky cover alls.
    The trick is to dress so that you can lift your arms with
    ease. I find when Walleye fishing to sit on a real high seat
    and fish out & down or just stand, reason being that after a
    while your arms get tired and then you lose that sense of feel
    along with a whole bunch of missed bites

wallclimber
    Stoddard WI

I found the old union suitswork really good, you can unbotton the when you start getting warmer.Also and old timmer told me to spray deoderent on your toe and foot,keeps them dry witch normaly gets feet cold. As far as hands I also like jersey, I usally cut the fingers off two three pair, it seems to keep my hands from sweeting. Sweating is usally my problem when im cold. Also you cant beet a good pair of zip up carharts bibs,Layers is the real trick, trial and error.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.