Dubuque pool! The bite is on!

• Joel Schultz
    Winthrop ,Iowa Wabasha, Mn.

Well its been a while since my last post! Mainly because of little league and very high water.Well we made it to Dbq to see the Father inlaw, and watch the fire works from his boat at the marina.I made it out on the 5th with my wife and kids and went to my favorite spots ,and picked up some nice fish! The river was at 10.5 ft and surface temp was 76 degrees.Found the fish on the flats where the clam beds are located.It was fun watching the boys work the count down reals and let out the right amount of line for the type of plugs we were pulling.They even discussed with each other how many feet back on certain poles produced the most fish! I sure don’t remember doing this when I was 9 or 11 years old! They didnt even have count down reals when I was a kid! Look how far this sport has come. Got fish on crawdad bombers and # 7 shad rap in firetiger,Both produce the same.Released 3 fish over 22 inches.There is a new slot for this pool, and I have to agree with it.We were fishing in depths of 7 to 10 ft. By noon we had to go deeper on the break lines and fish at 13 to 14 feet.Picked these fish up on live bait rigs with a leech. Total fish for the 6 hr excursion, 8 fish at the 16 to 18 inch range which were all walleyes and 1 at 25inches and 2 at around 22 inches which were all released . Caught a few sheepies, but it wasnt to bad. This would be the week to get out, but I have to be in Des Moines all week for meetings.Good luck to those who venture out this week and keep your tip up!

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Schotzy:

I’m not looking to steal your honey holes , but just humor me his much, were you above or below Dubuque? I fished pool 11 (above Dubuque) near river mile 600 on Saturday and trolled for hours with not so much as a tug on my line.

I must have been in the worst place in pool 11 as we saw no other fisherman all morning, except a few panfisherman around 2PM working the shoreline cover.

Regards,

Joe Jiacinto

Joel Schultz
    Winthrop ,Iowa Wabasha, Mn.

12 miles below Dbq dam.Get a map and get electronics and you can find the sand and the clams. I cant give all my secrets but the pool you were in is a very good pool.Jimmy O has made a good living up there.Give him a call.

kornking
    Mount Vernon, Iowa

Schotzy:

Thanks for the info! I have a good sonar unit and was able to find some sand dunes and am pretty sure we were on clams; heck, we snagged a nice big one that I took home for the kids.

I have Jimmy O’s number here in my wallet, lots of fellas have recommended him, it may be time to spend a day with him in pool 11 to learn the water. It could have been the weather that morning or just plain bad luck. I’ll keep at it, one of these days its gonna all come together!

Regards,

Joe

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.