Enough boats in Red Wing on sat.

• larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Well, I don’t think there were enough boats out there on saturday. Anybody have an idea how many they think were out total. We saw a guy run into another guy up by the damn, in a way it was his own fault, but man if you put any more boats up there it would be impossible to get up there. A lot of the main places were loaded with boats, hey guys i hear pool 3 is just dynamite you all should go there and leave just a few boats on pool 4, We should have a new rule at the public landing, only the first 10 boats that get there get to fish, after that you must go to pool 3.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The old saying goes….if you don’t want to fish in a crowd….DON’T !! Plenty of water out there.

J.

BobKnutson
    Austin, Mn

I’ve seen it a lot worse! Wait untill the first weekend day when the forecast calls for calm and 60 degree temps. I look forward to the Mn opener, river trafic drops off a lot after that.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

oh really, nice story, i think that is pretty obvious buddy, i am just saying, and i wasn’t serious i was poking fun of

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Over the years this is when the crowds start to form in numbers…I’ve seen guys T-bone one another at pretty good rates of speed..Just remember the three B’s when your out there Be aware, Be careful,and Be courteous..

Things happen fast on the River…

Unless your in my spot than it’s another story LOL

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

We BY FAR got our bigger fish of the day both Friday and Saturday away from the crowds. Bigger sauger were in shallower water! Less than 20′. No boats anywhere near us.

Tuck

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

Yeah we tried to get away too, but where we did find spots to get away the wind was just tremendous coming at us right up the gut.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A good set of Whitecap Splash Guards is a must in this kind of wind! They kept us out longer!

bigpike

It makes you appreciate the fishing in the fall when guys are out hunting or just give up on fishing after the first frost. I enjoy fishing the river on opening weekend when the guys run to there favorite lake I find some of the most incredible under fished waters on the river with nothing but the frogs and the birds watching me

paxtonrasm
    Woodville, WI

I’m glad I’m fortunate enough to not have to only go there on the weekends. Mid-week is by far the best time. I only brave it down there on weekends if either the bite on hogs is on or I just want to subject myself to the mobs.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

yeah but how does that help with the wind, the transom on our crestliner is high enough where we don’t have to worry about the waves

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tuckner was using his kicker to backtroll into the wind and waves. Its a great way to utilize the added and control and thrust of a kicker motor VS. asking an electric motor to do more than it can possibly handle.

The WhiteCaps keep the spray off the driver and waves out of the boat.

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

yeah i know what it does, but just didn’t completely describe my situation because we use the bow mount and it does a fairly good job

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I also had three customers in the boat. Backtrolling into the waves worked well for jigging with that many sticks in the boat.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Correct me if I wrong here Chris… but he really wasn’t commenting on your (larsonlayer’s) situation. He shared how he dealt with the wind in his boat. You can use your bow mount if that’s your choice. In a 30 mph wind, you’ll find me running my T-8 kicker and thanking my lucky stars that I have a nice set of White Caps keeping the water off of me and out of my rig.

Just a different way to accomplish boat control in a difficult situation while keeping the struggles to a minimum.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Chris or James,are these “Whitecaps” like wave wackers?If so,is there a design difference that would make the White Caps more beneficial?I’d also like to know where a person can buy Whitecaps.Sorry for all the questions,but sometimes ya just gotta ask!Thanks in advance,the Rat.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Yeah, they’re basically just like the wavewackers. And what’s the benefit over the wackers? About 50%?!…LOL You can buy the Whitecaps directly from the manufacturer instead of having to go through a middle man like a guy has to do with the Wackers. I’ve had a set on my last two boats….. they fit great. Installation and removal is a snap and I think I got my complete set, with kicker motor cut-out and White Caps new double spring tensioning system… for like $150 delivered to my door. The materials used seem to be the same as what’s used in the wackers. And the warranty and service is excellent.

Lets see… out of the FTR guys, DeeZee runs them, I own them, Tuckner turned me onto them and he’s had them on his last 3 boats.

We have a link to they’re website on the homepage of FTR. Whitecaps have been advertsing with FTR for a couple years now. And no, none of us are sponsored by them. We buy ours just like everyone else….

Check them out…

Walleyeman1

So weekends are busy. What about weekdays. I have Thursdays off and was thinking about making a couple of trips to the river. I have never fished pool 4 and wouldn’t like to start with the crowds out in full-force.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not as busy…. but plenty busy. Its just that time of year and its all part of the game.

sydneymoham

hey james,,,, i was just wondering what u have on the side of ur boat in lettering,,,,

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.