Pool 4 9/16-17 Report

• Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

Fished Monday and Tuesday with very different results.

Monday fished the head of the lake; Maiden Rock and down the WI shore a couple miles, can line, and 5th cut. The bait fish are just starting to move into the Maiden Rock area and it only produced a couple short Saugers and some small sheepies. Found nothing willing in the can line so moved to 5th cut area and as soon as my Denver rig got to the bottom I had a good fish on. Because of the location I was assuming it was a Walleye but it was a big sheepie. Trolled up the shoreline and had another good fish on so naturally I assumed it was another sheepie, surprisingly it was a 23.5″ Walleye. Not a great day on Monday but it is always nice to end a trip with a big Walleye.

Tuesday I had 2 clients with me and given the fishing results from Monday, we headed for the lower end of Pepin. It was a little rough on the way down to Lacupolis so we stopped at a few of my favorite spots along the WI shore, all produced a few small Walleye/Sauger for the first pass or 2 but slowed or stopped after that, time to move. Fished the Lacupolis area for quite a while and once we found the right area fishing was reasonably steady, at least for 14″-16″ Saugers with a few short Walleyes mixed in. We also picked up quite a few White Bass. The highlight of the trip came when both clients hooked into 2 big White Bass each, on Denver rigs. Both thought they were snagged but before I had even started turing the boat I noticed the lines were crossed and in my experience most snags do not run to the side. It was quite a circus trying to get all 4 fish in the boat at the same time but we managed it without losing any. Other than the wind/waves on Tuesday it was an excellent day on the water.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

Nice report! What did you find for water temps on the lower end of the lake?

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

If I remember correctly it was 70 to 71 on both ends of the lake.

One eye
    Albany ill

How big was the sauger.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.