Denver Rig

• Justin Wathke
    Osseo, WI

How long of a leader do guys use for the crank bait lead on a denver rig? What type of leader material do guys use to tie these rigs together?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Crack walleye guy here to give you expert advice.

About 5′ (don’t forget the snap (not snap swivel) on the end. I’m trying to recall what we used between the 3 way and the rap the other day…I believe it was mono.

Justin Wathke
    Osseo, WI

Thanks for the input guys. I watched Dean and Jason’s video and they talked about the dropper/jig lead but I did not catch the crank bait lead length. Thanks for the help.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

The ones I use have a Rap lead of 36″-40″ long and run a dropper leap of 12″-16″ ,I use anywhere from an 1/8oz-1/4 oz Drag’n jig on the the dropper, too slow you will snag the dropper.

Keep in mind if you get dropper lead twist around your crank bait lead go to the next heaviest jig on the dropper,that will help keep the dropper jig down away from the Rap lead.

I believe speed plays a big factor while using the set-up, too fast and you get the dropper jig to tangle around the crankbait lead.

Like said in video.. just about all plastics work on this rig. I prefer a 2 1/2″ Chartreuse shad body or a 3″ Chartreuse twister tail.

BTW … Mine are made of 8lb mono

BTW ..BTW.. Everts Resort has them premade and ready to sell !

JMHO Jeff

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

For me I use 10lb MAXIMA CHAMELEON ten inch drop 3 to 4 foot leader. Jig size 1/4 to 3/8 Depending on current speed and depth…. …..rrr

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What id the difference between a Denver rig and a Dubuque rig?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Replace the bell sinker with a jig and bait/plastic and you have a dubuque rig/. Only legal in MN on border waters where it is legal to fish two lines. Note: when fishing a dubuque rig the two different baits/hooks count as “two lines” so only one rod may be fished at a time when using a dubuque rig.

redneck
    Rosemount

My take on it is that with the Dubuque rig the jig weight is heavier and it is more of a vertical jigging or dragging presentation. If a crankbait is used it is usually a small stickbait. With the denver rig the crankbait is bigger—usually a 5 or 7 shad rap or something similar and the presentation is trolled like a crankbait. That is how I use them anyway.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Good explanation Rich. Denver rig = Use the crank to get the jig deep. Dubuque Rig = use the jig to take the crank deep.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.