Pool 3 Walleyes??

• grprahl

It certainly seems like there is plenty of info on Pool 4. But how is the walleye bite in Pool 3 by Hastings? As far as I’m aware, its the closest place to Minneapolis that is open year round for walleyes, and I would like to check it out if it’s worth it. Catch a few males for the dinner table or maybe even a slob for the camera. Do the big females stack up under the lock and dam to spawn? Can walleyes be caught drifting and vertical jigging downstream from it? I grew up fishing the DePere dam so I’m familiar with the process, but want to know if the same thing occurs near Hastings, and why there is so little info on it.

walleyedaddy
    MN

The area from lock & dam 2(Hastings) to Prescott north of pt is considered inland water & closed until May fishing opener so you can’t fish that area now unfortunately, but border water south from Prescott is open year round to railroad bridges on both sides.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Until inland water opener, You can’t fish up by the dam in Hastings. You must stay below the road bridge in Prescott. You can’t go up the Mississippi at all till May. As far as the fishing in Prescott….It’s pretty slow I think. Not many guys doing it,so that tells me that here isn’t much of a bite there till the water warms a bit. Not an expert at it though, So maybe someone will chime in.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

The area from lock & dam 2(Hastings) to Prescott north of pt is considered inland water & closed until May fishing opener so you can’t fish that area now unfortunately, but border water south from Prescott is open year round to railroad bridges on both sides.

Railroad Tracks….on both sides

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Crappies aren’t closed, and they love small walleye jigs

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

As the others have said, the Mississippi North of Prescott is inland MN. There are a lot of wing dams and good slack water areas South of Prescott that attract the big Walleyes and you can have a large portion of the river all to yourself! My best fishing on pool 3 was always during the spring before the Croix or inland MN openers. Found most fish in front of the wing dams, from 3/4 out, to the tip. Also around the first island on the MN side there are a couple of nice eddys that will hold fish. Good luck out there.

grprahl

Good thing I checked then before I just went and fished! Dal, I’ll have to give some of those spots a try when I get out there. Thanks for the info. I’ll post a video review when I get a chance if it turns out being alright.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.