Lake Pepin 24th 25th and 26th Lots of fish!

• Joel Schultz
    Winthrop ,Iowa Wabasha, Mn.

Hello Everyone,
    The water is terrible down our way.Headed for pool 4 on Monday am. Put in at Pepin ramp and did not go more than 5 miles in 3 days.Had the pleasure of teaching some fellows how to use planner boards.Did not get to fish till 3:00 on Monday.Caught some nice fish though! 18 to 22 inchers.Tuesday was a new day.Wind were strong and the swells were at least 4 to 5 ft.We never left for calmer water because the crank bait bite was on.I use fire line on all my line counter reels and pull at least 4 to 5 poles at a time.We were busy all morning and caught at least 100 fish.The guys with me were impressed to say the least at the boat control in this wind.I had to switch to some berkly frenzeys and #7 shad raps just to give the baits a chance to stay down better.Trolling speed was 1.9 to 2.3 on digital and 2.8 on gps.Was going out to 85 to 100 ft on frenzys and 115 on the #7 s . This pattern kept up for the next day also.We had the whole basin to our selfs for pretty much the 3 days.I thought for sure Wednesday would be different because the wind switch but it held true.The morning was the best everyday with fish slowing down after 2:00 each day and going dead after 4:00 .I hope this helps a few of you heading out this weekend.I just wish I lived closer to pool 4 .I wiil be a while before pool 11 is in shape to fish . Oh by the way one of my buudys had the same luck up at Maiden rock .8.5 TO 11 FT. of water was the depth we had the most luck with and firetiger or crawdad for colors.See you on the water the next time and I wiil get a digital camera in the near future.I am taking my film to the store today so maybe I can scan pitures in this weekend some time.
    Schotzy!

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Schotzy,

Thanks for the info. Were you north or Pepin near the condos? I have not been that way for about a year now but I was thinking of heading that way tomorrow or Monday with the boys if we can get a break in the weather. I am also looking to get out next week on Thursday/Friday to chase some fish around.

keep your lines tight

Joel Schultz
    Winthrop ,Iowa Wabasha, Mn.

We were north and south of the boat ramp.There is fish all over.Find them and stay on them .Make short trolls not long ones.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I did manage to get out Sunday afternoon evening until the weather sirens in Pepin chased us from the lake. We fished north of the landing with good success on minnows and crawlers on Lindy rigs. The largest fish between the two boats was about 21″. The funny thing was that we could not buy a walleye, all saugers except 2 fish all night. I did not see much from the guys trolling crankbaits other than very small fish. I had my 7 year old with me and he had a blast once we got on fish. Even through the rain he never wanted to leave.

Thanks for the info and maybe I’ll get out there again later this week. I am looking at Thursday and I hope the winds and the rain hold off for a change.

Dave

bri_bigeyes
    Farmington, Minnesota

Where is the Pepin ramp located?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.