POOL 3 AREA REPORT

• Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

Pool 3 water has come up quite a bit this past week. Flow has also picked up throughout the week. Boat control on the Wing Dams has become a little more difficult, and getting to the bottom and keeping in contact with “fishwater” has become more difficult. Also quite a bit more debris yesturday, although most of it is small stuff. Fishing still is Excellent however, as each morning this week We’ve been off the river no later than 1015AM with a limit of eaters. 16-18″ er’s. No large fish. I kinda would like to see the rains stop however, as we don’t need any more flow. Doesn’t look like that is going to happen. I just have a lot tougher time getting to the fish when the flow is high. Not many people fishing? See ya on the river!

Pops
    Big River, WI

Are crawlers still the ticket?

Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

About half and half. Half on crawlers, half on #7 shad raps. We went this AM again, we managed to boat 10 more, but the wind blowing down river with the current became tough. The Shad color was the best color,(all the ones on raps taken on this color today) the Firetiger was best the previous days this week. Tried the Slough the other day (Tuesday), didn’t turn up a thing, but maybe I haven’t found the “honey hole” or maybe they arn’t there? I caught a few in there last year but they were not there Tuesday. I think were going to try it again in the morning, (I’ve got that long weekend off, day and a half, start 12 hours on Saturday again), gotta get out when I can. Sounds like a southeast wind in the AM which should help a lot, better control, probably a falling barometer before more rain this weekend. Stop! Stop! , don’t need more rain! Good luck, try crawlers and Raps!

fadius
    Prescott, WI

I need to learn how to fish those wing dams. Tried last night without any success. But then again, it was my first time trying them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Engleworm-you eating them as fast as you catch them?

Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

They have slowed down a little. Friday 3 of us caught 5 in 6 hours of fishing. I boated 1 sheephead. Not sure what was going on. It seemed like all the conditions should have been excellent for a good bite, but it wasn’t there. They were caught on nightcrawlers, none on a Rap, not even a hit!

fadius
    Prescott, WI

Just got back from fishing tonite. Had decent luck. Went downstream from the wingdams again. Got a striper, nice size about 12″, large mouth about 16″, and a few walleye, one was 20″, and a couple were 14″. Wind was strong and water was very choppy. Over all pretty good for a few hours of being out. Bass were caught on #5 Rap, and walleye were caught on minnow and a a new twister I just bought.

fadius
    Prescott, WI

Quote:

Engleworm-you eating them as fast as you catch them?

What are you getting at by asking that question? If you are wondering if he is ptting all them in his freezer, people can catch a limits worth without actually keeping them. Your comment sounds like it is suggesting something other than that.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Take it easy Riverbanks. E-worm specifically said that he has been coming off the water each morning with a limit of eaters. That suggests he’s keeping them. I’m sure there’s no law being broken, but it doesn’t hurt anyone to get a reminder from time to time to use them up before you bring in more.
    No harm no foul.

Good Luck!
    Crossin’

Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

OK guys, Not to get on the defensive side I do have more than 1 friend, and this time of year I seem to attract even more friends. Wouldn’t you like to catch Eyes each time you went fishing? I kinda run a “unofficial” guide service this time of year, the fishing had been excellent, and I told you how I catch them. I do know the laws and the limits……… But thanks, everyone needs a reminder every now and then! NOW LETS GO FISHING!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Just wondering guys. I have been giving fish to friends and neighbors and they sure appreciate it. I have also eaten quite a few but my appetite is ready for some panfish.

Although I have eaten more from the rivers this year than most I still wonder about DNR health recommendations.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Randy, Are you going to be going out Friday morning like we discussed last week at work? Your boat or mine?

Engelworm
    River Falls, Wisc.

I’m headin up to Siren tonight after work, Going to give Big and Middle Mckenzie lakes a try. The rivers rollin pretty good, and expected to come up even more. I’ll be on vacation the rest of the week, and should be back Thursday night. I’m not sure of the best way to hook up with you for Friday, give work a call and get my home number? I should be around as I said Thursday night. If not, just leave a message on my machine, I should be ready to try the river again by then. We can go in my boat, nothing special, small. (I have a hard time catching fish in high; muddy water conditions, but we can sure give it a try for a few hours) Wife’s headin to Maine for a week, so I’ve got a lot of free time to try a few new areas. LETS GO!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.