Pool 4 Lake Pepin 5-23-04

• Kerry Harvey
    Brownsdale, MN.

Spent today pulling leadcore on Pepin. Had good numbers with about half being legal. Biggest was only 20″ but a bunch were between 16″ and 18″. #5 shad raps were the hot bait with firetiger and craw working the best. Most fish came out of the 10′- 14’depth. Speeds of 1.6- 2.2mph. Above is a pix of Dale G. with a nice eater. Get out and enjoy the bite.

Brian Lyons

Looks like a good day on the Lake
    The pic makes it look like you had just the right wind to fish the lake

eyeshaveit
    Prescott, WI

Thanks for the report Kerry. I wish we could have had that kind of wind on Saturday but we didn’t so we stayed up in the river for the majority of the day. Our biggest walleyes were 25″ and 22″ and were caught in 8-11 feet of water. Caught most of our fish long lining # 5 Shad Raps in Fire Tiger color but largest fish was caught while dragging a jig tipped with a crawler. We released the 25″ & 22″ walleyes & kept 4 walleyes to eat between 16-18″. Weather on Saturday was certainly alot better than I thought it would be. How did everyone else do this past weekend?

EyesHaveIt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We stayed in the river as well and had a blast both Saturday and Sunday. Largest fish Saturday taped 27.5″ and we had great numbers switching back and forth between cranking and dragging bait… mostly crawlers in 5′ – 8′ of water.

Sunday Dustin and I each had trips. Each boat stuck a pair of hogs between 27.5″ – 28.5″ from a fairly small spot (I love rising water!) and we boated around 30 legal fish for the day.

Fishing right now is fantastic and should keep getting better for awhile yet!~

Garrison
    Owatonna, MN

I made it over on Sunday for the first time since March. Location took awhile but thanks to everyone’s help on this board we were able to sort through some options until we found the right one.
    Started at the head of the lake pulling 3 ways and bait without much luck for the first hour or so. Then we threw shallow diving shad raps and pulled small jigs and crawlers through a shallow sand flat. The fish were just killing the shad rap. Then again they weren’t too shy about the jig and crawler either.
    Ran down to the Maiden Rock area about mid-day and had a great time. Seemed it was either a 14″ fish or a 20+” fish. We took close to 10 between 20 and 25″. Our best pattern was a bit different than posted above. We pulled #5 shad raps, too. However, we didn’t use leadcore. While we did use firetiger, crawdad, and natural colors our hot bait color was perch. We also fished a little shallower. Best depth was 8′-10′. At 7 feet we would get killed by the little guys.
    All in all it was a fun day, even in spite of the weather.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.